Summary: Hebrews 10:36 teaches that obedience is a key to obtaining God’s promise: “You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised.”
Be Certain of God’s Promises, Part 9
Text--2 Peter 1:1-11
This lesson continues a series focused on the promises of God and our part in receiving what has been promised.
According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary a promise is a legally binding declaration that gives the person to whom it is made a right to expect or to claim the performance or forbearance of a specified act.
In every promise there is the one who makes the promise and the one who receives. God has made to all who believe in His Son great and precious promises but it remains to us to be in a position to receive what has been promised. rmance or forbearance of a specified act.
1 Be Certain of God’s Promises
A. Know To Whom It Is Promised
1. These words were written to fellow believers.
a. 2 Peter 1:1 Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:
2. 2 Peter 1:4 For by these (His power and our true knowledge of Him v3) He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature having escaped the corruption of this world by lust.
b. A “partaker” is a participant, partner, or sharer.
c. Romans 8:17 …heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ,
B. It is God’s Promise:
1. This is not a worldly contract with worldly uncertainty.
a. We must not promise what we ought not, lest we be called on to perform what we cannot.
b. God sent, God approved, God guaranteed! And God is Faithful to His Promises
Joshua 21:45 Not one of the good promises which the LORD had made to the house of Israel failed; all came to pass.
C. We Have a Part in the Promises.
1. “Now for this very reason…” (v5) tells us that there is action required on our part.
2. In order to become partakers in the divine nature and so inherit His precious and magnificent promises we must have “escaped the corruption that is in the world.”(v4)
a. This is accomplished first (and foremost) by faith
3. To escape the corruption that is in this world we begin in faith but grow our character as a child of God through diligent effort. 2 Peter 1:5a Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith…
4. Peter lists the spiritual characteristics that need to be a part of a believer’s life. V5-7
d. Each quality is a tile laid on the rock foundation of our faith and serve to help us stand firm in our faith.
e. Diligent effort is needed as we obey the will of God: Hebrews 10:36 “You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised.”
D. In Your Faith Supply…
1. Supply to your faith.
a. The Greek word translated here as supply or add, (in the imperative) means to provide all that is needed or to supply something in abundance.
b. A believer is to “furnish, supply, or add” to his faith with these qualities.