Summary: This is the 11th sermon in the series "The End". This sermon looks at the mighty angel and little scroll in Revelation 10.
Sunday Evening June 9, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: “The End [#11]
1. The first nine chapters of the book of Revelation have brought us almost to the middle of the Tribulation.
2. We will find that before the Seventh Trumpet Judgment happens in Revelation 11:15, John describes two other scenes.
3. Turn with me to Revelation 10.
The Mystery Of The Text
The Mighty Angel
1. In verse 1-6 we find a “mighty angel”. Some scholars would say that this is Jesus Christ while others would say it is an unidentified angel.
2. You will never find Jesus appear as an angel in the book of Revelation, or anywhere else in the New Testament. Hebrews tells us that Jesus is greater than the angels. This is a powerful angel, but don’t forget who created the angels. Angels fulfill the work of God that He has given them to do.
3. Another proof that this is an angel is in verse 6. The angel is making an oath by the only sure guarantee, God. Hebrews 6:13 tells us that when God made a promise to Abraham “since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself.” This angel swore by someone greater than himself, the Creator – God. This includes Jesus! He was at creation.
The Seven Thunders Like Voices
1. We also need to notice the voices that sound like seven thunders.
2. In verse 4 John is told to seal up what they said and not write it down.
3. There are many speculations of whom these voices are coming from and what they say. This is one of those times that we just have to say, “I don’t know”. God has His reasons for not telling us. That has to be good enough.
The Mystery Of God
1. The word “mystery” appears several times in the Bible, meaning that God is going to disclose a truth that is only possible to know in His Word. We cannot figure this out on our own.
2. The “mystery of God” here is referring to salvation. One of the characteristics of salvation involves the mystery of how a holy God could love sinful human beings so much that He would send His only Son into the world to die for our sins.
3. This was made known to the prophets. At this point, this mystery is almost over. In Revelation 12:6 we learn that there will be 1260 days left for people to receive God’s gift of salvation.
The Mystery Of The Scroll
What Is It?
1. Revelation 10:2 tells us that the mighty angel holds a little scroll open in his hand. In verse 8 John is told to take the scroll.
2. There have been several suggestions made to the identity of the little scroll. Some say it is the seven – sealed scroll taken from God by Jesus, given to the might angel, who in turn gives it to John. If this is true, the little scroll is the title deed to the earth, with the title description on one side and the seven seal judgments on the other. Since the seven seals have been broken and it has been revealed what the seven seals are, perhaps there is no longer need for this book. Thus, John is told to eat it.
3. Another suggestion is that the little scroll is the new revelation of John of events from this point on to chapter 19. In either case it is the prophecy of God. Since the mighty angel is pictured as standing with one foot in the sea and one foot on the land, John must no longer be in Heaven. He has apparently returned to the earth to take the little scroll. It is a scroll, therefore, that has to do with that are to happen on the earth.