Summary: A sermon on "doing" the word, not just hearing it. From a series on developing spiritual depth.
Take Action = there is something required by the person who is
It is not enough that we come to church and hear a sermon
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
Daniel 11:32 -- the people who know their God will do great exploits
This story is one of my favorite
Because Jesus discerns between pity and power
o We want to feel sorry for this guy and give him pity
o But Jesus wants him to recognize the power by taking action
THREE ROOTS I WANT TO PULL OUT
...That produces an unhealthy fruit
I. SOCIAL (vs. 3)
* Great number of disabled people
* Birds of a feather flock together
* These individuals were segregated and isolated to live with like people
* They were stuck in a social environment
* That prevented them from seeing a healthy way
* I believe the social environment that you live in, hang out in
o Has a lot to do with your ability to have a breakthrough
o And produce fruit
* When people are serious about changing their lives
* They eventually have to consider their social structure
* Yes, open the circle of love
o But you can't have all of one kind of person around you
o And expect to be different
* It's not just the drug that has you...
o It's the culture
* It's dangerous to only have those like you...
o Struggling and fighting the same things you are
* You eventually have to get around someone:
o If you want to learn to be a contender...
o Hang out with some champions!
* If everyone around you is:
* It's easy to stay that way
* Because the abnormal looks normal
o Even church folks (bubble)
* You become what you gaze at.
Blind = no vision
Lame = no forward progress
Paralyzed = no action
* Put strangers in a room
o And eventually all the people will gather under the same colonnade
* It's hard to get out -- get healed
* Because everyone is in your same mindset
* If you have a problem with anger
o Don't hang out with mean, ready-to-fight people
o They will only empower your sickness!
* As a parent...
o I even want to arrange certain people and places to influence my kids
* I want to go to a church that:
* I want that environment / atmosphere / culture
To be alive
Filled with contenders
* This man needed a miracle
o But the people he was around prevented an atmosphere for miracles
* Because the atmosphere of expectancy is the breeding ground for miracles!
* A shark will only grow to the size of its aquarium
* It's time to get a bigger tank!!
* A better social atmosphere
* You will become just like those you hang out with!
II. SYSTEMS (vs. 7)
* The man begins to tell Jesus the system he was in
* We all wait
* Once a year or so
* The angel stirs the water
* The first one in gets healed
o The fastest
o The most alert
o The one with friends
o The best positioned
* This is our system / a cycle
* There is a problem with this system.
* 364 days we are waiting
* There comes a time when you've got to stop waiting for change
* Break out of the system mindset
* 38 years waiting / hoping
o Filled with excuses
* Systems -- root systems
* Everyone thinking when all the planets line up
* You got to change your system
o Waiting on a bad system
o Waiting for someone to believe in you
o Waiting on everyone to agree
* This guy's system was too small
o I can't wait 38 years
* I declare I won't wait
o I will change a system
* Pastors who tell me they won't change anything for a year
* Wonder why they can't get anything done!
* I can't wait by a pool hoping
* I need a miracle now!
* The words Households \ represent systems
* System = A procedure or a process that produces an end or objective
= An order or method that produces an objective
* The House of David replaces the House of Saul
Saul = system of religion -- man chosen
David = system of religion -- God chosen