Summary: Control your thoughts and seize your destiny.
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ
Do you know you are in spiritual warfare?
• There is a relentless spiritual battle happening in this world and you’re part of it?
• You’re not a sideline reporter, but an active participant.
Satan is trying to place strongholds in your mind
• A stronghold is an argument you believe that contradicts the person and power of Christ.
• A stronghold is a thought fortress of arguments that take you captive and hold you as a prisoner.
• These fortresses are designed to exterminate the person of Christ and His power (the Gospel) in your life.
Many of us will battle strongholds of addiction and he will use traps to injure and subdue us (use trap demo)
• Doing Drugs-overdose
• Selling drugs-gang violence
Death can come swiftly
Satan’s tactics could sometimes be compared to RAT POISON
• It looks good - It smells good - It tastes good
• 99% FOOD - 1% POISON
You die a slow death
• Love of food becomes GLUTTONY
• Self respect becomes CONCEIT
• Communication becomes GOSSIP
• Carefulness becomes FEAR
• Judgment becomes CRITICISM
• Generosity becomes WASTEFULLNESS
• Anger becomes RAGE
• Same-sex relationships become HOMOSEXUALITY
Satan will always try to convince you that you are the only one struggling.
• He will use shame to keep you from seeking help
• He will remind you of your failure when you try to do what’s right
• He wants you to believe that you cant move forward or leave your past behind
But the truth is…ALL GODS PEOPLE STRUGGLE at some point in their life
• Jacob was a liar
• Moses was an insecure murderer
• David was an adulterous murderer
• Peter was prideful
• Saul killed Christians
• Rahab was a harlot
If you don’t think you can relate to a bible story how about someone who has struggled with almost all of the sins?
Let me share with you how God set me free and allowed me to take captive my thoughts.
• I was not raised in a Christian home
• I did not have a normal set of parents
• My addictions began in the 5th grade
• I did not have any Godly influence in my life
• I was addicted to alcohol, smoking, weed, and porn
• My drug addiction caused me to be a thief
• I was jailed many times as a youth
• I could not stop my addictions on my own
I believe my addictions were born out of
• A need to feel accepted
• A hunger for love
• A thought life that was not guided by Gods word
But God was there for me when I called
• He forgave me
• He saved me
• He sanctified me
• He baptized me with His Spirit so that I could stand before you today and tell you there is FREEDOM from SIN
• But in order for you to experience this freedom, you must TAKE CAPTIVE EVERY THOUGHT
Don’t assume that because you have given your heart to Jesus and accepted His gift of eternal life that you are not still in a struggle…
1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour:
Men and women of God still have to maintain their thought life
• Eve walked with God and disobeyed Him
• Judas walked with Jesus and betrayed Him
• Ananias and Sapphira were a part of the church and lied to the Holy Spirit
• You may be here tonight and you have realized that you haven’t maintained your thought life
• You may have realized that you are not as free as you have let others believe
Remember, sin, addiction, and death begins with just a thought
Let us rebuke these horrible thoughts right now in Jesus name
• Lust and pornography
• Abuse and molestation
• Drugs and Alcohol
All these thoughts we take captive and give them to Jesus. AMEN