Summary: New years challenge to challenge believers to look at life through an eternal lens. It also has a "spiritual inventory" checklist to hand out.
Taking Spiritual Inventory
Text: Psalms 90:1-17
1. We are told in the word to number our days… that wisdom may come
Heb. #4487, maw•naw v. to number off, count, reckon
In other words, to stand before the hourglass of time
2. I have numbered my days. I am 45 years of age.
a. Days to live
365 days yr.
25,550 days 70 yrs.
I have 9,198 days left
Months to live
12 months yr.
840 month till 70
I have 302 months left
b. What’s all this tell you?
The greater portion of my life is behind me.
I want to live my last 36% better than I lived the first 64%.
c. "…For what is your life? It is even a vapor, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." (James 4:14, KJV)
Pause for reflection….
3. That we may apply our hearts to wisdom
Literally, Heb. #935- to move in a linear movement. From point A to point B without wandering.
4. "Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established:" (Proverbs 24:3, KJV)
Established- Heb. #3559- formed, set in order.
a. Lets word it another way… "Through wisdom is a life builded, and by understanding it is established:"
b. It is simply unbelievable the amount of folks who think they will be better off the next year than the past year but have not established concrete plans on how to do it.
A. What does it mean to take spiritual inventory ?
1. It means sitting down and taking a serious look at our strengths and weakness… and then planning a course of action to correct that which is lacking and a strengthening of that which is good.
2. I have a spiritual inventory checklist that will guide you in how to evaluate your life and correct as necessary.
B. Several questions to stimulate our thinking?
1. Has my success, whether in the secular or the spiritual, outweighed my failures?
Am I a more spiritually matured having lived this past year?
2. When facing obstacles, did I run from them?
Seek to go around them?
Simply pretend they did not exist?
Or stand faith, speaking to the mountain?
Pause for reflection….
3. Have I pondered the future?
Where will we be in 3 yrs. 5 , 10 yrs. From now?
4. Will our marriage be stronger, our love for our mates more fervent?
5. Have I really considered the seriousness and brevity of life?
Pause for reflection…
"O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works.
Now also when I am old and gray headed, O God, forsake me not; until I have showed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come." (Psalm 71:17-18)
How would you describe your spiritual temperature in your walk with the Lord?
____hot ____lukewarm ____cool ____cold
Evaluate your time alone with the Lord. Circle the quality that you most lean toward
unhurried / hurried
satisfactory / unsatisfactory
fresh / stale
much time in confession / little time
renewed spirit / troubled spirit
Confessional Prayer Work
The following questions are categorized and intended to help you identify sins of commission and omission. Every “yes” answer indicates a sin to be confessed for cleansing.