Summary: Lesson on New Testament Teachers
Teacher: Did you do your homework? Boy: No, Teacher.
Teacher: Do you have an excuse: Boy: Yes. It’s all my mother’s fault. Teacher: She kept you from doing it? Boy: No, she didn’t nag me enough.
TEACHERS IN CHURCH
David Powell Cotton Lane Community Church
I. Teaching Is A Gift From God
A. Rom 12: 6 God has given each of us the ability to do
certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to
prophesy, speak out when you have faith that God is
speaking through you. 7 If your gift is that of serving others,
serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of
II. Teachers Are Important
A. 1 Cor. 12: 28 Here is a list of some of the members that God has placed in the body of Christ: first are apostles, second are prophets, third are teachers, then those who do miracles, those who have the gift of healing, those who can help others, those who can get others to work together, (the last is the hardest! Grin)
III. Part of Teaching Brings Hard Lessons
Prov. 5:12-13, "How I hated discipline! If only I had not demanded my own way! 13 Oh, why didn’t I listen to my teachers? Why didn’t I pay attention to
those who gave me instruction?
A. Sometimes learning involves discipline!
1. My experiences as a child (Nuns ruler)
B. Not listening to teachers brings regrets!
1. Some of us, when we were kids, didn’t like our teachers
but later they were the ones who made the biggest impact
on our lives.
C. Remember the difference between teachers and students.
1. They teach, students are obligated to pay attention even if we as parent think our kids are smarter
than the teachers!!
2. They teach, students learn, that’s how it works
D. An important lesson for all of us to learn, both parents and children, is to let the Teacher be the
1. 2 Tim. 4: 3 For a time is coming when people will no
longer listen to right teaching. They will follow their own
desires and will look for teachers who will tell them
whatever they want to hear. (NLT)
2. 2 Tim. 4:3 (NAS) 3 For the time will come when they will
not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears
tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in
accordance to their own desires;
Conclusion: James 3:1 Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged by God with greater strictness.
1. Teaching is not a game.
2. Teaching is not a popularity contest to make either the kids of the parents like you!
3. Teaching in the world is a great occupation
4. Teaching in the church is a calling that carries a huge Responsibility
5. Don’t try to become a teacher just because you like having authority.
6. One final lesson we all need to learn is Teachers can’t teach our children if we
as parent don’t help them!
William A. Ward has said, "The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. No teacher can make a student smarter but a teacher can make a student hungry to learn!