Summary: "They that mourn" 1. Wasted Tears 2. Welcome Tears 3. Flowing Tears 4. Dried Tears
- Don’t confuse this title with the 2003 movie “Tears of the Sun”
- Brutal “R” rated movie that stars Bruce Willis who plays a Special-Ops commander who leads his team into the jungle of Nigeria to rescue a female doctor who will only go with them if they agree to rescue 70 refugees too.
1. Wasted Tears
Esau & Isaac – Lost Position
Esau crying out for immediate gratification & despising his Sp. heritage
Genesis 25:32, 34 (AV)
32 And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?
34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright.
Reckless of eternity
Esau lost his double share of his fathers inheritance & his position of leader in the family
Genesis 27:34, 38 (AV)
34 And when Esau heard the words of his father, he cried with a great and exceeding bitter cry, and said unto his father, Bless me, even me also, O my father.
38 And Esau said unto his father, Hast thou but one blessing, my father? bless me, even me also, O my father. And Esau lifted up his voice, and wept.
Amnon & Tamar – Lost Pleasure
Mourned for what he wanted & hated for what he got
2 Sa. 13:1-2,
2 Sa. 13:15,
King Ahab & Naboth – Lost Possession
- Mourns for Naboth’s vineyard & murders to get it
1 Ki. 21:2-5
1 Ki. 21:19
2. Welcome Tears
Luke 7:37–38 (AV)
37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,
38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
“SORROW” - sadness or anguish due to loss
“DESPAIR” = Lost of all hope or confidence
- When was the last time you mourned over sin?
- Have our emotions become hardened toward sin?
English word “MOURN” comes from the German “To remember sorrowfully”
Gk πενθέω (pentheō )mourn/grieve speaks of a continual state of mourning or mourning as one's lifestyle!
Psalm 34:18 (AV)
18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
3. Flowing Tears
My Previous Condition
- Recalling how I thought little of the deadliness of sin
My Purposeful Carelessness
Yielding easily to temptation
My Present Corruption
- Succumbing to popular culture
4. Dried Tears
2 Corinthians 7:10 (AV)
10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
1. The comfort of the Good News. "Jesus died for me."
2. The comfort of the HS "I will send another Comforter."
- I will never leave you
3. The Comfort of a promise future glory & peace
Mourners are not blessed because they mourn
Mourners are blessed because they are comforted