Summary: The Salvation Army is a great organization to support during the Christmas! Full disclosure, I work for the Salvation Army and have for the past four years. But I'm very careful about where I donate my money.
The views in this article do not necessarily represent the positions or opinions of the Salvation Army, it's partners or affiliates. The statements made belong solely to those making them.
The Salvation Army is a great organization to support during the Christmas! Full disclosure, I work for the Salvation Army and have for the past four years. But I'm very careful about where I donate my money. It's always wise to consider carefully which organizations you give your money to. Here are ten reasons why I think you should support the Salvation Army this Christmas season!
1. The Salvation Army has a proven track record going back over one hundred and fifty years. In fact the famed economist Peter Drucker said, "The Salvation Army is the most effective organization in the USA." And he also said, "The Salvation Army's goal is to turn society's rejects alcoholics, criminals, derelicts into citizens." In fact the co-founder of McDonalds Joan Kroc so trusted the efforts and effective results of the Salvation Army that she donated 1.9 billion dollars to the Salvation Army to build community facilities today known as "Kroc Centers" across the USA.
2. 82 cents of every dollar donated goes directly to help those in need through feeding programs, housing, rent assistance, clothing, homeless shelters, and rehabilitation programs among dozens of other programs.
3. The Salvation Army is a biblical Christian organization with a mission statement indicating, "the mission of the Salvation Army is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in his name without discrimination." The SA is not just focused on material needs, but spiritual needs as well!
4. Disaster services is a key service of the Salvation Army, where volunteers and officers will serve those directly affected by disasters, severe weather, and other concerns through giving out food, providing housing, and spiritual counseling. If it's on your heart to support those affected by disasters, please give this season!
5. The Salvation Army assists over 25 million people each year in the United States. There are thousands of corps facilities around the USA serving those in need and preaching the gospel.
6. One of the great ministries of the Salvation Army is prison ministry, and the hope of helping those who are lost in crime, addiction and sin is a great hope indeed when considering where to give during Christmas season.
7. Children's After School activities are one of the cornerstones of Salvation Army corps facilities across the USA. The SA serves children through daily after school programs, character building activities, band classes, singing companies, vacation bible school, and other ministries as well.
8. When I began working for the Salvation Army and saw the thousands of kid's toys that they distribute during Christmas, I realized that being in the SA is kind of like being a mini Santa Claus! Children ought to have gifts to open on Christmas, SA makes that possible.
9. I think the single most exciting and dynamic ministry of the Salvation Army are the Adult Rehabilitation Centers. These facilities house those attempting to break free from drug and alcohol addiction. I've worked in this ministry personally, and I've seen how these men and women are hungry for hope and change, and the word of God, and how Jesus Christ saves them from addiction. It's amazing!
10. The Salvation Army preaches the gospel to many in our society who might otherwise never hear the gospel. One of the chief goals at the founding the SA in London was to reach those unreached by other churches. This continues to be an important goal of the Salvation Army, to preach the gospel of Jesus to those who might otherwise never walk into a church.