Summary: This is the 8th sermon in the series "The End". This sermon looks at the first four trumpet judments found in Revelation 8.
Sunday Evening, May 19, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: “The End” [#8]
TERRIBLE TRUMPETS (Part 1)
1. As the seventh seal is opened there will be 30 minutes of silence. Why? After all, there has been all kinds of singing and praising going and now all of a sudden, there is complete silence.
2. As we discussed two weeks ago, the opening of the seventh seal leads into the seven trumpet judgments. We can see here that seven angels are given a trumpet.
3. Also notice, there is another angel and this angel has a golden censer and is standing at the altar. Notice that the prayers of Christians are continually going up before God.
4. I also believe that the fire from the altar that is being used to be “hurled on the earth” is those prayers to God for vengeance upon those that have mistreated God’s children.
5. Now the seven trumpet judgments begin. God sends all of these judgments down upon man.
1. The first trumpet sounds and hail and fire mixed with blood begin to pour down on the earth.
2. A third of the earth will be burned up.
3. This is bad, but with each trumpet call, it will get worse.
1. The second trumpet sounds and “something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea.” In the Bible, the reference to “the sea” usually represents the Mediterranean Sea. Also, the “huge mountain” is probably a giant burning meteorite that falls into the Mediterranean Sea.
2. A third of the animal life in the sea died and a third of the ships were destroyed.
3. With this blazing meteorite hitting the sea and all of this death a third of the water will be turn to blood.
1. The third trumpet sounds and another meteorite hits the earth.
2. This meteorite is going to bury itself so deep at the right spot that it will pollute the water supply of a third of the world’s river.
3. When this “Wormwood” meteorite hits, it will embitter great rivers, and those who are dependent on them will die.
1. The fourth trumpet sounds and we see the light giving bodies of our earth are affected.
2. This will actually reverse day and night because there will be 16 hours of darkness and 8 hours of daylight.
3. Just imagine what affects this will have on the earth. These first four trumpet judgments will altar this world completely.
1. This verse introduces the three woes of the book of Revelation, which tells us that as bad as the first four trumpets have been the next three will be much worse.
2. We will look at these three woes next week.
3. Again, we must have an urgency for telling the lost about Jesus Christ.