Summary: This sermon provides Biblical answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the terrorist attack.
Terrorism Strikes America
September 16, 2001
A. The events of this past week were some of the most chilling that any of us have encountered.
1. None of us have ever had to even consider the reality of blood shed on our own land.
2. It is always something that we thought of in some other part of the world.
B. There are many things about our society that changed suddenly.
1. Each of us have had to spend some time thinking about things we’ve never thought about before.
2. We’re also having to re-think some things that we thought we’d already figured out.
C. This morning I’d like to give you some Biblical perspectives on some of the most frequently asked questions about this event.
1. I have five initial questions and some scriptures for us to think about at this point in time.
2. I really don’t know right now whether I will preach more sermons on this subject or continue on with the series that I was preaching on the supremacy of Christ.
3. All I really know is what God has given me for today.
4. So the first question is…
I. Why did this happen?
A. God did not cause this to happen!
James 1:13-17, When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;
1. God is not the author of evil.
2. God cannot even be tempted by evil.
B. Make no mistake about it, THIS WAS EVIL!
1. Hijacking a plane, stabbing people, sending the rest to the back of the plane, telling them to call their loved ones on the phone and say their good-byes because they are going to crash the plane into the World Trade Center or the White House—make no mistake: this was evil!
2. Recruiting 18 people to commit suicide for you—make no mistake: this was evil!
3. Make no mistake: That was the Devil and all his demons dancing on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon last Tuesday!
4. God is not the author of evil; God did not cause this to happen.
5. This was not a part of God’s plan.
C. So why did it happen?
1. There are many answers to this question and only God knows all of them.
2. One answer is because of the US’s relationship with Israel.
a. There are many in the Middle East that would like to get the US out of there so that they can fight Israel alone.
b. There are many in the Arab world that want to annihilate Israel.
c. They want to obliterate Israel because they want Jerusalem.
d. This is a sibling rivalry that goes all the way back to when Jacob (whose name was later changed to Israel) tricked his brother, Ishmael, out of his birthright.
e. This war has been going on ever since in the land that we now call the Middle East.
f. The US has chosen (rightfully) to be on Israel’s side and that has upset all of the Arab world.
g. Israel has some rough neighbors on Ishmael’s side of the family that live out there in the Middle East including: Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Usama Bin Laden (who is not really any country—although Afghanistan has been know to hide him there).
h. Any and all of those would like to see the US get out of Israel.
i. This attack was designed to get the US out of Israel and back on our own soil.