Summary: This is the ninth and final message in a nine part series from Colossians. It deals with giving God prise and adoration for His gifts to us.
Sermon by: Dr. Todd Morris
Text: Colossians 3: 15, 17; 4:1-2
Title: Give Thanks to God
Date: August 18, 2002
Introduction: An attitude of gratitude changes everything. It will be a sweeter home when those that abide there have a spirit of thankfulness. A thankful heart is a powerful influence in all areas of our life.
Paul’s goal during his ministry was to develop thankful people. He knew that thankful hearts would make loving homes and churches. In our text he shows how right it is for believers to be thankful.
I WHEN THE HEART IS RIGHT, THANKSGIVING IS NATURAL (14-16)
A. “Above all things put on love.”
1. Loving God makes us thankful for His grace.
2. Loving people makes us thankful for family and friends.
B. The peace of God comes to a thankful heart (Phil. 4:6-8)
C. Look what a thankful heart brings to us (16)
1. We’re prepared to receive the Word.
2. When we receive the Word we gain wisdom.
3. With that wisdom we share the scripture with others.
4. Joy fills our hearts as we see them growing in Christ.
D. How do we get our hearts right so we can become thankful people?
1. We must confess our sins.
2. We must forgive those who have wronged us.
II WHEN LIFE IS RIGHT, THANKSGIVING IS NORMAL (3:17-4:1)
A. Paul has a formula for normal Christian living.
1. Everything we do should be in the name of Jesus.
2. We give thanks for everything.
B. How does this formula affect our family?
1. Thankful husbands love their wives more.
2. Thankful wives build up their husbands.
3. Thankful children obey their parents.
4. Thankful parents are considerate of their children.
III WHEN PRAYERS ARE RIGHT, THANKSGIVING ISN’T NEGLECTED (4:2)
A. Continue in prayer.
B. Expect God to answer.
C. Give thanks when He does.