Summary: Thanksgiving Sermon
Jn 6:25 And when they had found him on the other side of the sea, they said unto him, Rabbi, when camest thou hither?
Jn 6:26 Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
Jn 6:27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
Jn 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
Jn 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Jn 6:30 They said therefore unto him, What sign showest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?
Jn 6:31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
Jn 6:32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
Jn 6:33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
Jn 6:34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.
Jn 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
Now in life I’ve learned that the the trouble with receiving something on a regular basis.
• Is That we come to expect it.
• This the biggest problem in the world today
• We have been blessed to live in a land of plenty
• And as a result we have become completely unwilling to give thanks to anyone for anything.
In our text today,
• We find the crowd questioning Jesus about how He is going to prove himself
• And they ask this again after feeding 5000 people with just a few loaves and fish.
• They’d had a need for food and Jesus saw the need and met the need.
• They’d followed Jesus all the way around the lake
• And rather than recognizing the fact that they were being offered the solution to a REAL need,
• They were asking yet again to have their need met.
And Jesus reminded them of the importance of what He was offering them
• Through his teaching and then He continues to teach them
• Through His ability to meet their need for food.
When the masses demanded food, he reminded them
• Of the fact that he was directing them to Spiritual food
• Through His teaching about heaven.
• When these Jewish listeners were trying to grasp what he was teaching them,
• He made a historical connection for them by referring back to the Manna
• That God provided from Heaven for the Israelites
• When they were wandering in the wilderness for 40 years.
Again, showing that God had met their needs when they needed it.
• Jesus turns the discussion to things of a spiritual nature
• And they asked him to provide “this food” for them.