Summary: The apostles were the foundation of the Church. The apostles were sent out to establish churches. The apostles were called Disciples while they were working and being trained by God, but they became Apostles after they were sent to do the work that they were trained do. They were to start churches.
The 12 Disciples Part II
The 12 Disciples by name
2. Bartholomew (Nathanael)
3. James (son of Zebedee)
4. James (the lesser or younger)
5. John (the son of Thunder, the Revelation)
7. Thaddeus (Jude)
9. Peter (Cephas, Rock, Simon)
12. Thomas (Doubting Thomas) He was a born a twin.
About the Disciples
First we will introduce you to a term called martyrdom. These were people who died for the cause of Jesus. All of the Disciples/Apostles were martyred in one way or another.
• He was a fisherman by occupation
• He was the brother of Peter and the son of Jonahs.
• He lived in Capernaum.
• He was a disciple of John the Baptist originally. (Mark 1:1 -18).
• He brought Peter to Jesus
• He was condemned to die on the cross.
• Andrew felt so unworthy to be crucified in the same fashion as Jesus, he requested to be crucified with an X-shaped cross.
• His Symbol: Two crossed fish in the shape of an X or the X shape
• Personality trait: Enthusiastic about Christ, Inquisitive, resourceful
• Life lesson: He felt that we should go out and eagerly share the good news about Jesus Christ
• Occupation was uncertain.
• He was the son of Talmai.
• Lived in Cannon Galilee.
• We think he was a Romanian Missionary.
• Many scholars think he came from royal blood. His name means son of Talmai. 2 Samuel 3:3 3And his second, Chileab, of Abigail the wife of Nabal the Carmelite; and the third, Absalom the son of Maacah the daughter of Talmai king of Geshur; – Talmai was the king of Geshur whose daughter was Maacah which was the wife of David the Mother of Absalom.
• Nathanael was really Bartholomew’s first name. ( John 1:47 – Jesus referred to him as Nathanael)
• He died in India where he preached. He died by being fillet alive with knives.
• His symbol: 3 parallel knives.
• Personality traits: Skeptic, honest, and faithful. John 1:49: 49Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.
• Life’s Lesson: Believers are called to test all things scripture and remain true to its principle.
James (son of Zebedee, son of Thunder, James the Elder or James the Great)
• His Occupation is a fisherman with his father and brother. Matthew 4:18-22 says 18And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. 19And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. 20And they straightway left their nets, and followed him. 21And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he called them. 22And they immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him.
• Brother of the Apostle John. The two were inseparable.