Summary: Atheism is hip right now, but is it right? We’re going to look at the advantages of being an atheist, its disadvantages, and then see how our philosophies play out in the closing moments of atheist’s and believer’s lives.
THE ADVANTAGES OF BEING AN ATHEIST
1. Q: Why can’t atheists solve exponential equations? A: Because they don’t believe in higher powers.
2. Q: What is so ironic about Atheists? A: They’re always talking about God.
3. [Fly in My Soup Atheist] “What’s this fly doing in my soup?” Waiter: “Praying.” Atheist: “Very funny. I can’t eat this. Take it back.” Waiter: “You see? The fly’s prayers were answered.”
4. THE LOCH NESS MONSTER
a. An atheist was rowing at the lake, when suddenly the Loch Ness monster attacked and grabbed him from his boat. He panicked and shouted "God help me!"
b. Suddenly, the monster and everything around him just stopped. A voice from the heavens boomed "You say you don’t believe in me, but now you are asking for my help?"
c. The atheist looked up and said: “Well, ten seconds ago I didn’t believe in the Loch Ness Monster either!”
1. “The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” Ps. 14:1 ESV.
2. “But ask the beasts, and they will teach you; the birds of the heavens, and they will tell you; or the bushes of the earth, and they will teach you; and the fish of the sea will declare to you. Who among all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? In his hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind.” Job 12:7-25 ESV.
3. “In the last days scoffers [mockers] will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” 2 Pet. 3:3-4.
4. A fool in biblical language was not a description of mental ability but of one who was morally deficient. A fool is a person who leaves God out of their consideration.
1. I’m talking about atheism tonight. If this message only applied to atheists, it would have little application to a church audience, but since the reality is that there are Christian atheists in every church, this message may speak volumes.
2. A Christian atheist you say? That seems like an oxymoron -- 2 contradictory words that shouldn’t be associated, but sometimes can be.
3. Christians who don’t tithe, don’t read their Bible, who don’t pray daily, who don’t regularly attend church – are, in-practice, atheists.
4. Atheism is the belief that no god actually exists. In our secular age it’s thought that perhaps 3-4 percent of our population actually claim to be atheists, while far more live as though it were true.
5. So tonight we’re going to look at the advantages of being an atheist, its disadvantages, and then see how our philosophies play out in the closing moments of atheist’s and believer’s lives.
6. The title of this message is “The Advantages of Being an Atheist.”
I. ADVANTAGES OF ATHEISM
A. NO MORALS TO RESTRAIN THEM
1. The atheist has no moral or spiritual restraints on his lifestyle. His only real concerns are “Will this hurt me? Can I get by with this? Can I avoid getting caught?”
2. The atheist has no concerns about right and wrong. He need not search his soul or apologize for violating any ancient concept of moral behavior.
3. As Dostoevsky said, “If God is not, nothing is morally wrong.” He can do whatever he wishes and the world be hanged if they don’t like it.
B. AN EXTRA DAY TO PLAY
1. The atheist has an “advantage” over the Christian in that he has an extra day [Sunday] for personal use and pleasure. He can sleep, golf, fish or anything he chooses on the first day of the week.
2. Christians are obliged to devote part or all of the day to their Lord.
C. EXTRA MONEY TO SPEND
1. The atheist has extra funds for his personal use. He’s not expected to Tithe on his increase or to give to the poor, to orphans, those who’re down and out.
2. He sees no need for taking the Gospel message of Christ to the nations of the earth: missions.
D. NO AFTERLIFE TO CONTEMPLATE
1. The atheist has no need to worry about such things as life beyond the grave, judgment, heaven or hell.
2. Such things are all tied to Jehovah and Christ his Son. They are out of his purview. For him they don’t exist.
1. REASON FOR UNBELIEF
a. A minister was preaching an open air revival. An unbeliever stepped from the crowd and said, "I don't believe in heaven or hell or in Christ or in God because I haven't seen them."
b. Then the man, wearing dark glasses, came forward and said, "You say there is a river near here – the River Clyde? There is no such thing. You say there are people standing here, but it cannot be true. I haven't seen them. I was born blind! So just because I haven't seen them means they don't exist. How foolish!"[Knight’s Treasury, p. 8]