Summary: A sermon on dealing with anger and frustration in a godly way
Story of man in Philly
Man in front of line was passed by guy on shoulder
Next stop light he shot him to death
We've heard stories like this pop up all over America
We are hearing new words to describe anger:
- Computer Rage
- Road Rage
- Air Rage
- Going postal
- School Shootings
However, anger is not something new:
- Anger made Cain kill Abel
- Anger made Saul lose his throne
- Anger made Moses smite the rock
We recognize, however, that anger is only an outward sign of something deeper.
When we were kids, we sang the song:
"If you're happy and you know it clap your hands", etc.
This song shows us that our internal world shows up in our external world.
In other words...
...The condition of the soul man...
...shows up on the physical man
We are a nation whose emotions are on edge
„« strung out
„« stressed out
„« burned out
We have phobias...
Everything gets on everyone's nerves
Abuse and neglect has left a generation of fragmented people...
...with holes in their soul
...not knowing where to turn
Most people have turned into complainers / whiners / and quitters
EXAMPLE: We see it in the church
- One of the most common terms used today among psychiatrists is LFT
LOW / FRUSTRATION / TOLERANCE
- Some fuses are shorter than others
- It's like they have no equilibrium
- When they get mad, it's like...BAM...RIGHT NOW!
- They go from real happy to real mad...RIGHT NOW!
- They're never equally -- balanced
- Hot or Cold
- One thing sets them off
- One thing goes wrong and they're mad at everyone
- Like the Grinch stole their Christmas!
- Others seem like they don't have a fuse
- They show no emotion at all
- Because if you spend all your time burying and hiding wrong emotions, you will eventually desensitize all emotion
- And, you walk around like a stone
"In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry"
- Be angry
- God is saying, I won't deny you the right to have emotion
- But, I don't want emotion to have you!
- Managing your emotions are the sign of being emotionally and spiritually mature
- I am supposed to have emotions
- It's my emotions that touch God
- We have a God who is touched by the feelings of infirmities (brokenness)
- Not all anger is a sin
4 KINDS OF ANGER
1. Sudden Anger Needs To Be Controlled
"A quick-tempered man does foolish things..."
"A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel."
- Break up furniture
- Break up relationship
- Things said that shouldn't have been said
- You're a time bomb
- A jack-in-the-box
- You're angry because of something in the past that hurt you
- And anytime someone gets even close to that hurt,
- ...you explode
„« Explosion hits a lot of things and people around you
- You can control it...
EXAMPLE: Phone rings / you're in a fight / hello
Step One - Confess it
Step Two - Submit to God
Step Three - Stay aware and stay away
2. Sinful Anger Is To Be Condemned
21. "You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, `Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.'
22. But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, `Raca, ' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, `You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."
- If we are angry without just cause
- Or anger that is seeking revenge, it is sin
"Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord."
- 'Raca' -- is a term of insult and vindictiveness
- It's sinful anger when...
1. Toward a person (we wrestle not against flesh and blood)
2. Without justifiable cause
3. Seeking vengeance
4. Breeding Bitterness
5. And, ultimately not forgiving
3. Stubborn Anger Is To Be Conquered
- Anger that stays and won't go away
- It doesn't matter if you've counted to 10 or 100!
"Don't let the sun go down on your anger."
- Some have had the sun go down every night for 30 years
- And the curse grows deeper and wider
- Holding on to hurts / grudges / bitterness