Summary: Today more than ever, people are confused about what to believe and how to believe. There are so many different religions and cults that preach and teach a variety of doctrines.
THE ASSURANCE OF SALVATION
John 6: 35-38
INTRODUCTION: Today more than ever, people are confused about what to believe and how to believe. There are so many different religions and cults that preach and teach a variety of doctrines.
Even after you sort through the different religions there are still questions with how we believe. Do we work for salvation or not? What happens to a Christian who commits suicide? How can you know for sure about your salvation?
I want to discuss with you five distinct points. Let us notice:
I. CHRIST'S FINISHED WORK.
1. Christ finished the work on Calvary which was necessary for our salvation; John 19:30. When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
2. I am trusting the Lord to keep me, however, when I do fall into sin, that sin has already been taken care of on the cross by Jesus Christ. Forgiveness comes by confessing the sin; I John 1: 9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
II. CHRIST PROVIDES RIGHTEOUSNESS.
1. When we come into the presence of God, we are going to need more than just the forgiveness of sin. We must possess a righteousness, which God can accept. Righteousness is the fulfillment of the terms of a covenant between God and humanity. Human righteousness in the New Testament is absolute faith in and commitment to God
Isaiah tells us that “all our righteousness is as filthy rags before God”
2. God provided the perfect righteousness of Christ for us, and it is Christ's righteousness alone that is acceptable to God. This perfect righteousness can be secured by faith in Jesus Christ; Rom 3:21, 22. But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
III. FAITH IS THE KEY.
1. There are two kinds of faith, head faith (temporary) and receiving (appropriating) faith (eternal).
2. To be released from the guilt of sin and possess salvation one must receive it by personal faith in Jesus Christ; Acts 16:30, 31 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas, And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
3. Someone may ask, "But how do I know that I will have Christ's righteousness? " God's answer; Rom. 3: 22. The righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ will be given unto all and will be upon all them that believe:
IV. KEPT BY GOD'S POWER.
1. If you have trusted Christ for your salvation and have been born again, you are kept by the power of God through faith; I Peter 1: 5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
2. There is ONE mediator between God and man, the MAN Christ Jesus. Why does the bible say the Man Christ Jesus?