Summary: We need to find our location as far as our standing with God and His Calling on our life.
Scripture: Ex. 3:1 –
Title: “The Backside of The Desert”
Introduction: Verse 1 tells us the ‘location’ of Moses. “The Backside of the Desert.”
This man “Moses” has had the grace of God on his life since he was a baby.
God spared Moses from death when he was just a baby.
God saw to it that Moses was educated by the best teacher Egypt had to offer.
I think it is natural to ask the question, “What are you doing here Moses?”
What in the world has happened to place a man like you in such an awkward place?
I. TAKING A STAND.
1. Ex. 2:12 – One day while Moses was observing the work of the slaves he saw one of them being mistreated by an Egyptian.
2. Moses killed the Egyptian and buried him in the sand.
3. The next day Moses saw two of the Hebrew slaves in a dispute and tried to settle it.
4. One of the Hebrews asked him, “What are you going to do kill us as you did the Egyptian yesterday?”
5. All of a sudden Moses realized it was known what he had done concerning the killing of the Egyptian.
6. Besides all this, his own people didn’t understand him or his actions.
7. FEAR gripped Moses and he fled to the “Backside of the Desert.”
8. Moses did what he FELT was right and it cost him his ‘cushy’ lifestyle.
9. Many people are living on the ‘Backside of the Desert’ simply because they took a stand.
10. By the way, we are living in one of the most non-confrontational societies of history.
11. Think for a moment how strong the “Politically Correct” philosophy has become in just a few short years.
12. No one wants to be told about their sins anymore!
II. GOD’S PURPOSE FOR YOUR LIFE.
1. There is not one living person in this world without a “God-given” purpose for their life!
2. We can never escape God’s purpose for our life!
3. Romans 11:29 says, “For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.”
4. Even wile Moses was on the run God supplied him with the things he needed.
5. Every experience Moses had up until this point in his life had prepared him for the job God had for him to do.
6. Even when Moses arrived at the “Backside of the Desert” he took another ‘stand’ to drive away some shepherds that had pushed away some young women who had come to draw water.
7. This experience introduced Moses to a family that would become very special to him in providing a wife and family.
8. Moses didn’t know God’s purpose but he was about to find out.
III. LIVING ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE DESERT.
1. Moses had found friendship and family on the ‘Backside of the Desert.’
2. He had also developed influence with the people of the community.
3. He had learned a new vocation of being a shepherd of the flock.
4. Moses had seemed to settle down in his new niche back there on the desert and everything seemed to be going fine.
5. BUT Moses still had a “Purpose” back there on the desert also!
6. Moses had escaped Pharaoh and the responsibility of killing the Egyptian, but he hadn’t escaped God!
IV. DISCOVERIES WHILE ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE DESERT.
1. It was probably just another day of taking care of the sheep.