Summary: Many people tend to forget that their greatest struggle is not with people, but against evil. The evil may come from within their sinful nature, the world or directly from the devil. Paul made it clear that our chief battle is not between "Flesh and blo
1. Many people tend to forget that their greatest struggle is not with people, but against evil. The evil may come from within their sinful nature, the world or directly from the devil.
Paul made it clear that our chief battle is not between "Flesh and blood (physical opponents) but against the despotisms, against the powers, against the master spirits who are the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spirit forces of wickedness in the supernatural sphere." (Eph. 6:12)
The Sanhedrin council was blinded to the truth because of their human desires for power. Despite Peter’s best reasoning and persuasive speeches he was met with increased hostility as the Pharisees increased in their anger against the apostles.
Application: Ask the Lord to help you be strong in the Him and in the power of His might by putting on the full armor of God. Do not try to fight the wrong battles or engage in arguments without the sword of the word of God while always praying in the Spirit.
2. The Sanhedrin council failed to realize that their political, religious and social powers were weaker than the power of Christâs truth and love. The council can only ask why their commands have not been obeyed even though the apostles had warned them it was better to obey God than men.
Worldly people easily grow frustrated by the greater authority of Godâs truth. The Pharisees saw Peter and the apostles as just another group of rabble-rousers who needed to be beaten and used as example for the masses. Many people forget that any authority is weak without the moral, Biblical and Spiritual power fortifying their position. Might without right may merely repeat its feeble experiments and failing.
Human power is no match for heavenly power. Peter and the apostles refused to become intimidated by the worldly forms of power that could not overcome God’s greater authority, strength and influence.
Application: Be careful that you may be unconsciously trying to undermine someoneâs God given authority. Do not become intimidated, scared off or discouraged by what humanâs can do to you. Trust the Lord to help you to move ahead by the authority of God’s word, His Spirit and His will.
3. Moral, spiritual and Biblical authority gives you overcoming confidence to move ahead in the face of terrible opposition. Peter and apostles were men without social, political or religious standing in their communities, but they were on the right side of truth. When a person has the moral authority to do what God’s directs, nothing can overcome that individual.
Application: Trust the Lord to help you avoid backing down against fierce opposition. Instead move forward with the full assurance of your moral, spiritual and Biblical authority. Remember, you are more than a conqueror through Him who loves you.
4. The apostles knew that the Pharisees were weak in that they were servants of their self-interests. People who are merely catering to their own political, social or physical desires are weak in comparison to the servants of God.
Application: Ask the Lord to help you be determined that your moral authority in the Spirit is sufficient to help you to pass through any dark valley of challenge.
5. The apostles knew that the truth of God is an irresistible force that breaks down all barriers in peoplesâ minds. Even though most of the Pharisees never acknowledged the greater power of Christâs truth, the Spirit convicted their consciences. Do not underestimate the Spirit’s ability to destroy every other authority set up against the knowledge of the truth. God’s authoritative truth is bound to shatter any political, social, or personal objection as nothing can stand against the truth.
Application: Truth not only sets one free but it breaks the chains that would seek to limit those who embrace it. Trust the Lord to help you speak the truth with the confidence that it will break down every barrier.
6. Do not think that you can accomplish anything of eternal worth without the authoritative truth of God. Many people have the misconception that political, social or educational truth compiled in a daily opinion poll will reveal some important truth that should be acted upon. Even Nicodemus acknowledged to Jesus,
"No man can do what you do unless God be with him." (John 3:2)
Application: Do not try to do things independently of Godâs authority or truth. Ask the Lord to help you accomplish all with His authoritative truth.