Summary: In Chapter 1 of the Story, we learn about creation and the beginning of God's pursuit to get us back from the ravages of sin!
• SLIDE #1
• A boy was asking his father how women came into being, so the father picked up the bible and it said, “: “God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep and he pulled out his brains and made the woman.” Oh, wait son, this is your mothers bible!
• I want to welcome you to FCC today as begin our journey through The Story!
• I hope you have read chapter 1, if you do not have a copy of The Story, we will get you one after the service free of charge!
• As we go through The Story together, I pray that for some of us for the first time we will understand how we fit into God’s Story and that we will understand the important part we play.
• Today we are going to embark on a 31-week journey together as we seek to find out how we fit into God’s Story!
• SLIDE #2
• The beginning of our story begins between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers in the Garden of Eden.
• Inside the front cover of your copy of The Story, you will find this map and you can draw a tree to represent this beginning.
• Later in our message when we talk about Noah, you can draw a boat a bit North of Assyria to represent Noah.
• We begin with the Beginning, the beginning of life as we know it.
• The beginning of our journey through the story of the Bible is important; it is like the beginning of an action-packed movie.
• If you miss the opening minutes of a movie with its fast-paced scenes, you will not understand the rest of the story. It is the same with the Bible’s grand Story.
• The Story opens with a “big bang.” Not the “big bang” of evolutionary theory, but the “big bang” of the revelation of God Who is the main character of the Grand Story.
• SLIDE #3
I. The Bible Story opens with the “big bang” of creation.
• Look at the opening words of the Bible. There was a “Big Bang”, but not the Big Bang some espouse.
• SLIDE #4
• Genesis 1:1 (NIV) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
• The opening verse of the Bible introduces us to the Story’s main character: God.
• The “Big Bang” is not an impersonal accidental explosion, but rather the creative nature and purpose of a personal God!
• The “Big Bang” of creation is presented poetically and artistically!
• I just want to show you Genesis 1:3 as an example.
• SLIDE #5
• Genesis 1:3 (NIV) And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
• This is how creation happened, God spoke it out of nothing and then something appeared! It was not accidental explosion in which order came out of chaos.
o Days 1, 2, and 3 are places created by God.
Day 1—Light and Dark
Day 2—Sky and Water
o Days 4, 5, and 6 those places are filled with the things the places were created for.
Day 4—Sun and Moon/stars