Summary: Today, we come to an interesting but important message that centres on the last days/hours of people before their death.
Many years ago, there was a man who loved God, followed His Precepts, went everywhere with others preaching and serving God. Years passed and he began to feel tired inside, he felt he was doing too much for God and too little for himself. He started talking to friends about his planned change of focus. As he thought about it, he planned about it and his dedication to God started dwindling. One day, what he had allowed to fill his heart came to fruition and he announced his departure from the faith. He felt he needed more out of a life that may not last more than a 100 years and preferred that to an eternity of a trillion times trillion years! What a foolish decision! That man was Demas. See the summary of his life in 2 Timothy 4:10 - KJV
10. For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia.
This message is about having the BEST in this life like Paul and others, who threw their lives into God’s Hands, living out their lives to please God and enjoying all that God provides for them. Then, afterwards, looking up to Heaven and catching a glimpse of the rewards awaiting the faithful pilgrims. Hebrews 11:13; 1 Peter 2:11.
1. LIVING IN THE WORLD TO PLEASE THE LORD
John 8:29 - And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.
2 Timothy 4:6-7 - For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
The Lord gave us an example to follow as we live our lives here in the World. Our living is to please the Living God. Our lifestyle is to show forth the Glory of our Creator.
When God is with us, see what happens:
• Promises are kept
• Life is fulfilling and satisfying in God
• Expectations and earnest desires are met by God in His Time as part of His Plans for us
• Abundant provision in our lives
• Surety of His Protection and Preservation in the face of apparent danger
• Encouragement constantly coming from the Lord in life’s journeys.
Jesus gave us these promises, which He gave the disciples when Peter asked about the fate of the rich in this World. He was not against people being rich. In fact, He gives power to get wealth. Deuteronomy 8:18.
Mark 10:28-31 - KJV
So, we conclude that it is not God’s Will for us to suffer want in this World. God wants the best for the people He created in His Image and much more for those who have found refuge in Him through the Blood shed by the Lord Jesus Christ for our salvation, even though such may come with persecutions.
Philippians 4:18-19 - KJV
God will supply your needs and you will have the best of this life He has given you to spend, following Him and His Precepts to the end in Jesus’ Name. Amen.
However, as we spend our lives in this World, there is something more important to do –
2. LONGING FOR THE HEAVENLY HOME
2 Timothy 4:7-8 - KJV
Here are the words of a man who was focused in life. He had what he needed in life and never allowed that to shift his focus on Eternity.
How do you stay focused on eternity while here?
• Follow every Word God gives you – whether convenient or not
• Open up to God on your weaknesses and obey His Directives
• Commit, consecrate and dedicate your entire life to the cause of the gospel regardless of your secular engagement
• Understand that this life is ephemeral, and life is short but eternity in long.
• See with the eyes of God, see all things in the light of eternity and never move your gaze to concentrate on what others do – offences, accusations and persecutions of men, that could derail you.
For such people, here are what await them: Crowns!
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness
Take a look at the Crowns that await overcomers like us:
This is the Crown for those who were tried and became triumphant saints. They did not succumb to the trial and temptations in the World. They bore and defended the Name of the Lord to the very end. They were triumphant over the adversities of life. They did not allow the challenges of life to discourage them to the point of withdrawing from serving the Lord and obeying Him.