Summary: Making our worship a daily habit.
• “When You Care Enough to Send the Very Best” – Abel’s offering
• “You’re in Good Hands” – Abraham sacrifices his son Isaac
• “Anything Less Would Be Uncivilized” – Mary anoints Jesus
• “When He Reigns, It Pours” – God blesses us when we give joyfully, systematically and generously
Extravagant worship = Giving my best to God
Not just something we do on Sunday – it needs to be a daily habit in our lives:
“The Best to You Each Morning”
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:1-2 (NIV)
1. My inspiration – God’s mercies
2. My application – sacrifice
• “offer” = put at God’s disposal
Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.
Luke 9:23 (NIV)
• “bodies” – our instruments of world consciousness
o Soul is instrument of self consciousness
o Spirit is instrument of God consciousness
So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life – your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life – and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him.
Romans 12:1 (Message)
• “living sacrifice” seems to be an oxymoron
o Not a sacrifice for sin and guilt
…we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Hebrews 10:10 (NIV)
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men
Colossians 3:23 (NIV)
3. My transformation – Renewing my mind
• God’s Word
I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing.