Summary: What Bible study will do
A. INTRODUCTION: WHAT BIBLE STUDY WILL DO
1. Before examining what Bible study will do for you, ask, “Why people don’t study Scriptures.”
a. Not know what it offers. “Have ye not read the law?” (Matt. 12:4).
b. Blinded. “They couldn’t believe, as Isaiah said . . . God has blinded their eyes . . . lest they see” (John 12:28-40, BBJ).
c. Reject. “He that rejecteth Me, receiveth not My Words” (Matt. 12:38, BBJ).
d. Look elsewhere. “You leave the Word of God and hold to your traditions” (Mark 7:9, BBJ).
e. Sin. “They hear the message of God but the cares of this world and the taste of wealth, and the attractions of entertainment choke God’s message” (Mark 4:19, BBJ).
2. The greatest challenge to believers. “Search the Scriptures, these words testify of Me” (John 5:39, BBJ).
B. WHAT RECEIVING AND APPLYING THE BIBLE WILL DO FOR YOU
1. Salvation. “I am the light of the world, those following Me . . . shall have the light of life” (John 8:12, BBJ).
2. Spiritual insight. “My Word is a light for your feet, I help you see the path in the dark” (Ps. 119:105, BBJ).
3. Assurance of confidence. “You know you are born again because of My testimony in the Word of God” (1 John 5:12, BBJ).
4. Spiritual growth. “As you have received Me . . . now walk in the Word, being rooted in the faith, and nourished by Me, so you will grow” (2 Peter 2:2, BBJ).
5. Spiritual fruit, i.e., character. “Accept God’s message and yield fruit” (Mark 4:20, BBJ). “The fruits of the spirit are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, and a generous spirit, faithfulness to one’s word, gentleness, and self-control” (Gal. 5:22, BBJ).
6. Answer to prayer. “If . . . My words remain (settle down) in you, you can ask what you want, and I will give it to you” (John 15:7, BBJ).
7. Influence people and win souls. “You have new life in Me . . . now you must get others reconciled to Me” (2 Cor. 5:18-19, BBJ).
8. Find My plan for your life. “My plans are to help you prosper, not to harm you, and to give you a future filled with hope” (Jer. 29:11, BBJ). “Dedicate your body . . . your best spiritual worship . . . then you will discover My will for your life” (Rom. 12:1-2, BBJ).
9. Success in life. “If you follow them (the Word of God) carefully, you will succeed wherever you are. Your success depends on your studying them, thinking about them . . . obeying them” (Joshua 1:8-9, BBJ).
10. Prepare for life after physical death. “Do not let your heart be troubled, hold on to your faith in God and your faith in Me. There are many rooms in My Father’s house . . . I am going to prepare a place for you there, and when I get it ready, I will come back for you, and I’ll take you to be with Me” (John 14:1-3, BBJ). “Do not be afraid to die, because when your body dies, you will immediately go to be with My Father in heaven” (2 Cor. 5:8, BBJ).
C. SEVEN WAYS TO APPLY JESUS’ BIBLE STUDY
1. Know your need and/or weakness. “I search people’s hearts, I know what they think” (Jer. 17:9, BBJ). “I called you to salvation, when you were not spiritually wise” (1 Cor. 1:26, BBJ).
2. Know both doctrinal and practical truths in Scriptures. “You get understanding when you read My Word” (Ps. 119:130, BBJ).
3. Wait for the Holy Spirit to alert or enlighten. “When Jeremiah thought of not giving My message, My words burned intensely like a fire in his bones” (Jer. 15:16, BBJ). “Did not our hearts burn as He talked to us?” (Luke 24:32, BBJ).
4. Look for applications. “And I opened their spiritual eyes so they might understand Scriptures” (Luke 24:45, BBJ).
5. Mark and memorize key passages. “Who hath . . . marked His word and heard it” (Jer. 23:18, KJV).
6. Meditate and think applications. “Meditate upon these things and give yourself wholly to them” (1 Tim. 4:15). “You love My law, you meditate on it all day long” (Ps. 119:97, BBJ).
7. Don’t expect perfection, give constant application. “My words will give you strength and joy. You belong to Me, the Lord of heaven” (Jer. 15:16, BBJ).
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.