Summary: What we can learn from the Big Empty or tomb that the early followers discovered: the empty tomb speaks to us of an absence, but it also speaks of an presence, the empty tomb gives us hope, the ability to rise above, and it teaches us to overcome.
The Big Empty Mark 16:1-8
1. On the morn of resurrection Mary Madeleine encountered
a Massive Void "The Tomb was empty".
• Mark 16:88Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid. Mary feels Empty
Her best friend has just been crucified
She goes to pay respects and finds what? Nothing. Empty.
2. Consider some of our Massive Voids or our Big Empties in our life.
• When you have studied and pursued a profession only to find you hate your work or the pay in that field is much less than anticipated.
• When you try to avoid a temptation only to give in to it again and again.
• When you jump to a new job only to find out later they are laying off or downsizing.
• When you lose a spouse to cancer or because of something else then you find yourself all alone
3. Even today’s Gospel writer appears to be a Big Empty. Notice verse 8
• Even in some of your bibles you will read the following after verse 8: "Early manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have Mark 16:9-20."
4. How does this Big Empty Tomb Speaks to us?
• Marks account speaks of an Absence but it also fills us
• With a promise of a presence. God filled Joshua's concern. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.
• Jesus promised us his Presence forever I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever-- 17the Spirit of truth. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.
5. Marks account speaks of a Big Empty Tomb but this massive void fills us with the Power of
• Hope cannot be conjured up by man's effort; it is God's gift by his SpiritRomans 15:13May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
6. Marks account speaks to us of a Big Empty but it also teaches us of a abounding ability to Rise above
emptiness Paul talks to us about an ability to rise above
• 2 Cor 1:8We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. 9Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 10He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us.
• Job had an ability that rose up in his emptiness25I know that my RedeemerC lives, 26And after my skin has been destroyed, yetE inF my flesh I will see God; 27I myself will see him with my own eyes--I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!
7. The Big Empty teaches us we can overcome because he has Risen
• We can overcome “the absences,” by allowing “his presence” in our life’s