Summary: Pentecost sermon sharing what is church? Church is the gathered, the fire and wind of God, the heavenly Language, the witness, the ordinary, and the United.
“The Birth of Church” Acts 2:1-21
1. Today is Pentecost the birthday of the church
• It is The birth of something special
• It is the birth of the Holy Spirit It came into being on Pentecost and was given birth by the Holy Spirit, the One who intercedes on our behalf with utterances unknown to us. See Romans 8:26.
2. We. May ask what is the Church?
• "I Am the Church, You Are the Church, We Are the Church Together!"
• The church is the people it is the people of faith
3. The Church is the gathered ones the ekklesia,
• They were gathered in one place and in one accord
• While they were gathered a sound was heard likened to a rushing wind
• The gathered encountered tongue like fire and the gathered were all filled with the Holy Spirit
4. The church is the flame of Gods Holy Spirit and the wind
• The Holy Spirit came in like a mighty rushing wind and there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as fire
• Wind actually refers to breath "God breathed" and Adam became " a living soul"
• God breaths and we become Fire is what God is. God is called a "consuming fire" referring to a completely filling of all power my God abled Moses, God abled
5. The Church is the heavenly language given from above
• 3 "tongues" that are like fire sweep over all the disciples, but one flame rests "on each of them"
• The Holy Spirit's presence is felt personally as well as communally among all the gathered disciples.
• The heavenly language speaks peace, speaks kindness, speaks with love, speaks the wonderful works of God
6. The church is the witness
• Peter, the most cowardly on the night of Jesus' arrest, now becomes the most Bolden
• Peter denies the charges of drunkenness and states the true meaning This is what was Prophesized by Joel 15These men are not drunk, as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning! 16No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: In the last day God will pour out a spirit, people will preach, the church will have visions, the church will dream dreams, the church will show wonders, and the church winess conversions 21And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'
7. The church is ordinary people. Even more remarkable is that they were unremarkable.
• They were ordinary people who actually extraordinary things
• They were normal folk who were able to the abnormal They were people like us
8. The church is united
• They were united they all understood the language the Holy Spirit spoke
• They were United in their message What Peter has to say in our text and the verses following makes it clear. The message is Jesus. Jesus was alive. Then he was dead. He is alive again. And everyone who calls on Jesus will also be alive -- eternally alive! This was the core message
• They were United in their mission. "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:18-20).
• The Church is the gathered, The flame and wind of God, the Heavenly Language, the Witness, the church is the Ordinary, and the Church is United. “Lets Go Birth Church ”