Summary: A Great Father’s Day Message, I ask the question, what is God’s view of a blessed Father? This sermon shows what God is looking for in a father to call him blessed.
Title: The Blessed Father
Text: Acts 13:32-33 and II Cor 6:18
- This morning it’s Father’s Day, a day in which we honor our fathers and show off what we are good at. Lets briefly show what we are good at:
1. We are good at redirection:
Kids can sometimes ask the toughest questions.
Son: Father, Can I ask you a question?
Father: Ok ask.
Son: When a doctor doctors a doctor, does the doctor doing the doctoring doctor as the doctor being doctored wants to be doctored or does the doctor doing the doctoring doctor as he wants to doctor.
Father: Go ask your mother!
2. We are good at negotiating
A young boy had just gotten his driving permit. He asked his father, who was a minister, if they could discuss the use of the car. His father took him to his study and said to him, "I’ll make a deal with you. You bring your grades up, study your Bible a little and get your hair cut and we’ll talk about it."
After about a month the boy came back and again asked his father if they could discuss use of the car. They again went to the father’s study where his father said, "Son, I’ve been real proud of you. You have brought your grades up, you’ve studied your Bible diligently, but you didn’t get your hair cut!"
The young man waited a moment and replied, "You know Dad, I’ve been thinking about that. You know, Samson had long hair, Moses had long hair, Noah had long hair, and even Jesus had long hair...." To which his father replied, "Yes, and they WALKED every where they went!"
3. 5 Things you will never hear Fathers say
5. Well, how ’bout that?... I’m lost! Looks like we’ll have to stop and ask for directions.
4. Here’s a credit card and the keys to my new car -- GO CRAZY.
3. Your Mother and I are going away for the weekend ... you might want to consider throwing a party.
2. Why would you want to go and get a job for? I make plenty of money for you to spend.
1. Father’s Day? aahh -- don’t worry about that -- it’s no big deal.
- According to our text this morning, God has an idea of what a Father is suppose to be.
- The question is does our society know? And do we as a church know?
- Approx 20 million children have been abandoned by there father. That’s 10 million shy of the population of Canada.
- What I mean by abandon is, a lack of spiritual, financial and emotional support.
- They are not there to love them and take care of them, because they are too busy living for the moment.
- And it’s affecting our society. Kids need there father and father’s need to show there kids they are loved and wanted.
- What does it mean to be a blessed Father? And how can we live under the full blessing of God as a Father?
- How does God define the word FATHER?
- This is what we are going to look at this morning to help us live to our fullest potential as Dads.
Point 1: Godly Fathers Lead By Example
Billy Graham tells of a time, during the early years of his preaching ministry, when he was due to lead a crusade meeting in a town in South Carolina, and he needed to mail a letter. He asked a little boy in the main street how he could get to the post office. After the boy had given him directions, Billy said, "If you come to the central Baptist church tonight, I’ll tell you how to get to heaven." The boy replied, "No thanks, you don’t even know how to get to the post office!"