Summary: This message explains the husbands role in the marriage. How did Christ love the church? I show 5 areas Christ loved the church, so that we as husbands would have an example to pattern our lives after.
Title: The Blessed Husband
Text: Eph 5:22-33
- We are going to look at this evening the role of the Husband according to Eph 5:22-33
- But before we do that, let me give you some stories to help us along:
Panel of Women debated on what they thought was a perfect man, a guy who was ‘with it’. You would have thought they would have decided upon some actor or athlete even a wealthy tycoon. They decided that the perfect man was MR POTATO HEAD. 4 Reasons: ‘He’s tan, he’s cute, he knows the importance of accessorizing, and if he looks at another girl you can rearrange his face.
There were once two newlyweds on their honeymoon. They were taking a train ride cross country. The bride was becoming a little self conscious about all the fanfare of being a new married couple. She just wanted some quite time alone with her new husband, So she came up with a plan.
She said to her husband…Oh John! … in the next town let’s pretend we are an old married couple that has been together for a long time. Can we do this my love?
The husband scratched his head perplexed and confused, because he didn’t want to look like he wasn’t considerate of his new bride. So going along with her request with a smile as big as a sunrise he spoke out to his bride with a boyish grin.
OK honey… when we get off the train at the next stop “YOU CARRY the Suitcases.
A couple of kids were in their attic reading old letters their parents had written years ago. The boy said to the girl: "These aren’t the names they call each other now."...
- Tonight we are going to look at loving your wife as Christ Loved the church.
- Next time we meet we are going to look at wives submitting to your husbands
- The big question is what does loving your wife as Christ loved the church look like?
- Can I love my wife even if she is unresponsive?
- What does loving my wife look like?
Point 1: I Cor 13 - The Love Chapter (vs 4-7)
- This is the foundation of loving your wife.
- Now this speaks to all of us, and all of us most love in this capacity but we are looking at the men in marriage relationships.
- These verses describe love as an activity and a behavior, not just as an inner feeling or motivation.
- Again every believer must grow in this kind of love.
One Sunday a minister was finishing up a series on marriage. At the end of the
service he was giving out small wooden crosses to each married couple. He said, "Place
this cross in the room in which you fight the most and you will be reminded of God’s
commands and you won’t argue as much."
One woman came up after the service and said, "You’d better give me five."...
- It takes time to develop and help from the Lord, but it is the foundation for us as men to start from and love our wives.
- It’s God’s way of doing things and it must be developed.
- How do we develop it? By committing to doing it everyday, with your spouse first and then with other people.
- Jesus was not condemning towards anyone.
- He was merciful and compassionate towards the human race.