Summary: When you draw close to God... 1. You will be in the ultimate place (vs. 1-2). 2. You will have His ultimate protection (vs. 3-10). 3. You will see His unfolding prophecy (vs. 9-16).
The Blessings of Being Close to God
Sermon by Rick Crandall
Grayson Baptist Church - Jan. 8, 2012
*James 4:8 makes a great promise to us when it says: “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.”
-And when we do draw close to God, He will bless us in amazing ways.
-Psalm 91 shows us some of those ways.
*James Hastings called this the Psalm of “God’s inner circle.” And he noted that “for every advance on man’s part, there is an immediate and corresponding advance on God’s part. When man goes out to seek God, God meets him more than half way. When he calls upon God, God will answer him. Loving faith on man’s part will be met by faithful love on the part of God.” (1)
1. This Psalm teaches us that we should draw close to God. And when you do, you will be you in the ultimate place.
*The Psalmist describes this place in vs. 1: “He who dwells (i.e. remains, sits down, lives) in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.”
-The best possible place you can ever be is the place of the Most High God.
 Notice that it is a secret place.
*God has secrets. That’s understandable, because God knows all the mysteries in the universe. God has secrets. But the great news is that God loves to reveal his secrets to those who seek His face!
*And God’s place is secret right now because the world cannot see it in a physical way.
-On the night before the cross, Jesus told His followers:
15. "If you love Me, keep My commandments.
16. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever,
17. even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
18. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
19. A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also. (John 14:15-19)
*God’s place is also secret because it can only be seen by faith.
-In Hebrews 11:1, “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”
*God’s place is also secret because lost people have been blinded by the devil.
-In 2 Cor 4:3-4, Paul said:
3. But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing,
4. whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.
*God place may be secret, but the great news is that He loves to reveal His secrets to those who seek His face. And “he who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.”
 Also notice in vs. 2 that God’s place is safe: “I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.''
*Are you trusting Jesus tonight as your refuge from the storm?
-Are you trusting Him as your protection from the enemy?