Summary: When Jesus Christ wrote his last Will & testament for His church, He made it possible for us to share in His spiritual riches (Hebrew 1:1-3; Colossians 1:12-17). Instead of spending it all, Jesus paid it all. His death on the cross and His resurrection ma
THE BLESSINGS OF THE FATHER
Ephesians 1:1-6 “Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus: 2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: 4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.”
When Jesus Christ wrote his last Will & testament for His church, He made it possible for us to share in His spiritual riches (Hebrew 1:1-3; Colossians 1:12-17). Instead of spending it all, Jesus paid it all. His death on the cross and His resurrection make our salvation possible.
Jesus wrote us into His Will: “Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” Luke 12:32
When Jesus died that Will was enforced: Jesus said the reason for the Gospel was, “To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.” Acts 26:18
He rose again & became our heavenly advocate: “My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:” 1 John 2:1
The theme of this first chapter is “How Blessed You Are.” There are many blessing spoken of in this passage. These “blessings” are ours because we are “in Christ” blessed by the God and Father. God “hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:” (v 3).
The Occasion: Paul was determined to remind the believers in Ephesus about their riches in Christ. We are made rich through the ministry of the Godhead.
Today, we will examine “Blessings of the Father” (v 1-6).
#1. GOD THE FATHER HAS CHOSEN US (v 3-4). “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: 4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:”
• The debate continues over Election & the Free Will of Man. “Chosen” [ek-leg'-om-ahee]= to pick or choose out for one's self.
• God wants ALL men to be saved & has provided a way for ALL men to be saved.
1 Timothy 2:4 “Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.”
Revelation 22:17 “The Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.”
• God instructed the prophet Ezekiel in 33:11. “Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?”
• Concerning “Irresistible grace”, notice what Jesus said in Matthew 23:37. “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!”
• Election Illustrated: American Airlines has a chosen route from Nashville to Dallas. Any person wanting to fly from Nashville to Dallas may purchase a ticket and go aboard.
Once on the plane every one on the plane is predestined to go to Dallas. It is the plane that is chosen; all who get on the plane are “in the plane,” and so get all the blessings that come to the plane.
• God gives us the answer to “Election” in the “Order of Salvation” found in Ephesians 1:13. In whom ye also trusted (Christ), after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
• Notice we are “Chosen In Him.” “In Christ” is used 10 times in Ephesians; 5 times in chapter 1. Believers are chosen “In Him”; that is, all who are “in Christ” are “the chosen, the elect,” the favored of God, the ones upon whom God will pour out His riches. The only channel of blessing from God to man is CHRIST.