Summary: Jesus calls us teh salt of the earth, if we understand what salt does, we can be more effective in our walk
• SLIDE #1
• Have you ever given a lot of thought to how you were brought to Christ?
• Was there someone in your life that was an example to you?
• You were around them enough to know that something was different about them.
• At some point they helped to lead you to Christ. Maybe they personally lead you to Him or they got you to church where others helped in the process.
• There is a word that explains why that person was able to help lead you, INFLUENCE!
• As we spent time on the Sermon On The Mount, you will see that Jesus deals with attitudes and actions of those who are citizens of the Kingdom.
• The next two messages will deal with the issue of influence.
• It seems that the world is trying to run God out of the public arena and it seems as though the church is sitting back and letting it happen.
• How can this happen? I wonder if it is because we do not understand how God wants us to live out our faith?
• Christians need to ask themselves how they are going to live out their faith in a dying world.
• Are we to go to the hills and hide? Are we to lock the doors of the church and hope we do not get stained by the world?
• Are we supposed to blend in with the world during the week and then put on a “church face” for Sunday?
• Jesus is gives us two metaphors that deal with how we are called to influence the world we live in.
• Today we are going to do a little study on salt so we can learn how we are called to be in positive influence in the world that we live in!
• Let us look at our passage this morning.
• SLIDE #2
• Matthew 5:13 (quickview)  ( ESV ) “You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet.
• SLIDE #3
• As the salt of the earth we are called to:
As the salt of the earth we are called to:
I. HELP SLOW THE DECAY OF A DYING WORLD.
• Salt had many uses in the ancient world as it still does today.
• In the ancient world salt was used to keep food from going bad. Even today it is stilled used in that manner in parts of the world where there is not much refrigeration available.
• When things are dead or dying, they are in a state of decay. Salt was used to slow down or stop the decay. The salt could not take something that was already in a state of decay and reverse it; the salt could keep it from getting worse.
• We are living in a world that is in a state of decay because it is dying. Christians are to be the agent that keeps the world from decaying. We are to be the preservative for the dying world.
• WE cannot stop the ultimate death of the world, but we can be an influence in peoples’ lives to help keep them from dying.
• SLIDE #4
• Christians are primarily responsible for the preservation of morality, justice and social conscience. God has also instituted the state and the home for these purposes, but without the church even these lack salt and light.