Summary: A comparison between physical bread and the bread of heaven
THE BREAD OF LIFE
22. The day following, when the people which stood on the other side of the sea saw that there was none other boat there, save that one whereinto his disciples were entered, and that Jesus went not with his disciples into the boat, but that his disciples were gone away alone;
23. (Howbeit there came other boats from Tiberias nigh unto the place where they did eat bread, after that the Lord had given thanks:)
24. When the people therefore saw that Jesus was not there, neither his disciples, they also took shipping, and came to Capernaum, seeking for Jesus.
25. And when they had found him on the other side of the sea, they said unto him, Rabbi, when camest thou hither?
26. Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
27. Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
28. Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
29. Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
30. They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?
31. Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
32. Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
33. For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
34. Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.
35. And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
I. The BREAD of Life has a Personality
A.. The Bread of Life Is A Person -, the Bread of Heaven is not a system or a denomination, but He is a Person.Salvation comes through Jesus and Jesus alone! Acts 4:12.
B. The Bread of Life Has Power - This Heavenly Bread has the power to save, secure and satisfy every sinner who comes to Him by faith.
C. The Bread of Life Has Promise - These verses tell us that Heaven’s Bread will give man life. Physical bread can sustain human life for long periods of time. However, after a time, the body will still die, even though it has been well fed. Jesus, on the other hand, is bread that gives everlasting life.
D. The Bread ofLife Has A Price - Before Heaven’s Bread can be enjoyed by the sinner, it must be received by the sinner.
II. THE PRESENTATION OF HEAVEN’S BREAD
A. V. 1-13 Illustrated By The Miracle - In feeding the 5,000, Jesus presented a type of Himself. He is shown caring for the multitude, providing for the multitude and satisfying the multitude. The implication is that Jesus, like the physical loaves and fishes, is sufficient for the need of mankind. Jesus is the all-sufficient Savior. Notice, every man took "as much as they would", v. 11, then after they had filled themselves, there was still an abundance left over, v. 13.