Summary: God uses strange ways to speak/hearts of people
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
March 9th 2014
Gen. 44 Joseph series #10
THE CASE OF THE MISSING SILVER CUP
Intro: God uses strange ways to speak/hearts of people.
• Bible/filled/story/story/God used unusual methods
• Unusual means/get/attention of certain people.
• burning bush/speak/this disgraced prince/Moses
• donkey to speak to this pagan prophet/Balaam
• empty meal barrel/dead son/speak/poor widow/Zarapheth
• Israelite slave/speak great general/Naaman/2 Kings 5
• Rooster/speak to this fallen preacher/Simon Peter
• Whale/speak to Jonah
List could go on…few instances…enough…prove my point.
God/uses/necessary to penetrate/hard heart of humanity with the message He wants a person to hear.
• Passage teaches us/same truth.
• As story/Joseph/brothers continues to unfold
• God uses/simple silver cup/open/door/ forgiveness/reconciliation
After/years, God brings/guilty brothers/place/repentance through the ministry of Joseph’s silver cup.
• Preach/events/chapter/few minutes today
• I want you/keep/truth in mind
• God also knows how to speak to you and me.
• Chapter unfolds like a mystery.
Want you to see how God used a simple silver cup to soften the hearts of Joseph’s brothers.
• Incident involved/Conspiracy/Confrontation/Confession.
I. v. 1-9 IT INVOLVED A CONSPIRACY
• Joseph/brothers/just enjoyed a time of celebration
• still don’t know/Joseph is/he/dropping hints here/there
• seats/brothers/table/birth order
• Benjamin/only full brother/five times/rest/brothers
• meal is over/next day has dawned
• Brothers are feeling pretty good about things
• Convinced/Prime Minister/not spies
Returning home/more grain/family/All their money
• most importantly/returning/Benjamin
• Judah had promised his father
No doubt/filled/excitement about going home/families/children.
Congratulating themselves over their successful mission to Egypt.
What they don’t know/God is working behind the scenes/face to face/sin some 22 years old.
• Brothers get ready/leave Egypt..
• Joseph tells/steward/house/prepare/grain they need
• V. 1 “as much/can carry”/give/money back also
Then, Joseph tells his steward to do something very strange.
• V. 2 Personal cup/place/sack that belongs to Benjamin
v. 3-5…now/brothers/gone far way
• Joseph/sent/steward/stop them/confront them/about cup.
• Of “rewarding evil for good.”/stealing Joseph’s silver cup,v. 6
• V. 7 brothers deny/charge/seek to defend their honor
• V.8 remind/steward/plenty of money
• Why would we steal a silver cup?
• So sure/their innocence/make some strong promises.
V.9 swear/cup is found among them/guilty brother will die
• Rest will become slaves/Egyptians
• Strange way for Joseph to treat his brothers.
In this passage, God uses Joseph as His instrument to draw these men to a place of repentance/restoration.
Years before/men/conspired against Joseph/effort/get rid of him.
• Conspired to Joseph’s harm.
• Now/tables/turned/Joseph conspires against them.
• But, unlike his brothers
• Joseph/not conspiring/effort to harm them.
• He is conspiring for their good.
• Need/remember there are no accidents in life.
If you/child of God, every event in your life is a product of divine providence, Rom. 8:28.
God is working out His will in your life in ways you and I cannot begin to comprehend, Isa. 55:8-9.
• Even includes the way God deals with our sins.
• There/times when we allow sin/abide in our lives.
• After while we can grow used to sins presence
• To/point where it no longer bothers us
• Come/think we have gotten away/sin
Because we have not faced judgment/chastisement over that sin
• God knows exactly when and how to speak to our hearts.
• When/time is right
• He/touch all the right buttons to humble us
• bring us/place/repentance.
Absalom/killed/Amnon/raped/Tamar, 2 Sam. 13.
• Created/rift/David/Absalom/banished 2 full years
• Joab refused/Absalom’s calls to come to his house.
• Commanded/servants/set Joab’s barley fields on fire
• got Joab’s attention and he came to see Absalom
Point of my sharing that story with you
• Something/your life/God were to touch it/take it
• would get your attention
• Joab, it was his barley field.
• For David/committed adultery/Bathsheba/infant son.
• For Abraham, it was his son Isaac.
• God knows how to get our attention
• Not afraid/touch/take what He pleases/speak to our hearts.
God has a silver cup/place/our lives
• Open our eyes/walked away from Him.
• Sooner or later, the silver cup will end up in your sack!WHY
Come to believe that we can get away with sin.
• Adam/Eve/think/cover/flimsy fig leaves/own making.
• God/settle/nothing less/total confession/repentance.
Like Achan, we think/hide our sin
• God knows where all of our skeletons are buried
• He will uncover them in His time,
• Believer can do with sin is to get it out into/open/soon as possible, Pro. 28:13.
• We can do with sin is hate it, forsake it and confess it to Him 1 John 1:9 When we confess our sins…………
When we refuse to, there will be a high price to pay for our disobedience, Heb. 12:6-11; Pro. 13:15.
We may not understand it all, but that is what is happening in these verses!