Summary: God uses strange ways to speak/hearts of people
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
March 9th 2014
Gen. 44 Joseph series #10
THE CASE OF THE MISSING SILVER CUP
Intro: God uses strange ways to speak/hearts of people.
• Bible/filled/story/story/God used unusual methods
• Unusual means/get/attention of certain people.
• burning bush/speak/this disgraced prince/Moses
• donkey to speak to this pagan prophet/Balaam
• empty meal barrel/dead son/speak/poor widow/Zarapheth
• Israelite slave/speak great general/Naaman/2 Kings 5
• Rooster/speak to this fallen preacher/Simon Peter
• Whale/speak to Jonah
List could go on…few instances…enough…prove my point.
God/uses/necessary to penetrate/hard heart of humanity with the message He wants a person to hear.
• Passage teaches us/same truth.
• As story/Joseph/brothers continues to unfold
• God uses/simple silver cup/open/door/ forgiveness/reconciliation
After/years, God brings/guilty brothers/place/repentance through the ministry of Joseph’s silver cup.
• Preach/events/chapter/few minutes today
• I want you/keep/truth in mind
• God also knows how to speak to you and me.
• Chapter unfolds like a mystery.
Want you to see how God used a simple silver cup to soften the hearts of Joseph’s brothers.
• Incident involved/Conspiracy/Confrontation/Confession.
I. v. 1-9 IT INVOLVED A CONSPIRACY
• Joseph/brothers/just enjoyed a time of celebration
• still don’t know/Joseph is/he/dropping hints here/there
• seats/brothers/table/birth order
• Benjamin/only full brother/five times/rest/brothers
• meal is over/next day has dawned
• Brothers are feeling pretty good about things
• Convinced/Prime Minister/not spies
Returning home/more grain/family/All their money
• most importantly/returning/Benjamin
• Judah had promised his father
No doubt/filled/excitement about going home/families/children.
Congratulating themselves over their successful mission to Egypt.
What they don’t know/God is working behind the scenes/face to face/sin some 22 years old.
• Brothers get ready/leave Egypt..
• Joseph tells/steward/house/prepare/grain they need
• V. 1 “as much/can carry”/give/money back also
Then, Joseph tells his steward to do something very strange.
• V. 2 Personal cup/place/sack that belongs to Benjamin
v. 3-5…now/brothers/gone far way
• Joseph/sent/steward/stop them/confront them/about cup.
• Of “rewarding evil for good.”/stealing Joseph’s silver cup,v. 6
• V. 7 brothers deny/charge/seek to defend their honor
• V.8 remind/steward/plenty of money
• Why would we steal a silver cup?
• So sure/their innocence/make some strong promises.
V.9 swear/cup is found among them/guilty brother will die