B. THE CERTAINTY OF CHRIST'S LOVE FREES US TO FACE THE FUTURE WITH JOYFUL CONFIDENCE
A lesson of reassurance for believers: If Christ demonstrated his love for us in the past, when our condition was awful, how much more will Christ continue to love us into the future, now that our relationship with God is restored. Thus, the certainty of Christ's love frees us to rejoice in the present and face the future with confidence
1. (:6-9a) Christ Died to Show His Love for Us in the Past While We Were Powerless, Undeserving Enemies
a. Description of our Condition Before God
1) Powerless, Helpless, Hopeless
2) Undeserving -- "ungodly" "sinners"
3) Enemies (v.10) -- sums up our condition
b. Significance of God's Timing -- "at the right time"
c. The Awesome Love of Christ to die for such ones
2. (:9b-10) Christ Lives and Will Surely Show His Love For Us in the Future Now that Our Relationship With God Has Been Restored
"much more" = the key point of the parallels Paul draws thru the remainder of the chapter
"the wrath of God" -- refers to God's final judgment and condemnation of sinners to eternal punishment
3. (:11) Christ's Dying and Living Love For Us Frees Us to Rejoice in the Present
Since Christ has shown His love in the past and assures us of His love in the future, we are now free to rejoice in the present.