Summary: Once you receive a miracle, what is your responsibility?
The Challenge of a Miracle
(Now that I am Blessed, What’s next?)
Date: Sunday, May 13, 2007
Scripture Text: Matthew 8:3-4
A. Matt. 8:13 (KJV) And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.
B. Mark 2:10-11 (KJV) But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.
C. Mark 2:12 (KJV) And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion.
D. Mark 10:52 (KJV) And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way.
E. John 4:50 (KJV) Jesus saith unto him, Go thy way; thy son liveth. And the man believed the word that Jesus had spoken unto him, and he went his way.
Purpose: The Challenge of a Miracle is the focus of this sermon. What comes next after you have been blessed? The responsibility is yours. Jesus used the simple phrase, “Go thy way . . .”. Where do you go and what do you do after a miracle?
Sermonic Selection: It Took a Miracle of Love and Grace
A. A Real Miracle
1. Have you seen a real miracle in your life?
2. Sometimes what we count as a miracle may have been just a matter of time.
a. You thought you were dying, but it was just a summer cold
b. You thought you were losing your mind, but it was just a bad tooth that needed to come out
3. But this was a real miracle
4. The healing of a person with leprosy was not an everyday occurrence
5. Leprosy was one of the most dreaded diseases of Biblical times
6. In the Bible, leprosy was a symbol of sin
7. It is impossible for anyone other than Jesus to heal you from sin
8. Leprosy was feared.
9. It was disfiguring and sometimes fatal
10. The leper was considered utterly unclean – physically and spiritually
11. He could not approach within six feet of any person including family members
12. He was judged dead – the living dead
13. He had to wear a black garment so he could be recognized as being among the dead
14. He was banished as an outcast from society
15. He was thought to be polluted and incurable by any human means
16. He could be cured by God and His power alone
17. That accepted fact is what made this miracle so important
18. Can’t nobody do me like Jesus
B. The Importance of a Miracle
1. A Miracle is an event that appears to be contrary to the laws of nature and is regarded as an act of God
2. It is an event that is totally amazing, extraordinary or unexpected
3. This was the first healing miracle performed by Christ in Matthew
4. Christ proved two things when He healed the leper
a. He proved Himself to be Immanuel – God with us
The people knew no one could heal a leper but God
(2Kings 5:7 (KJV) “And it came to pass, when the king of Israel had read the letter, that he rent his clothes, and said, Am I God, to kill and to make alive, that this man doth send unto me to recover a man of his leprosy? wherefore consider, I pray you, and see how he seeketh a quarrel against me.”