Summary: We need to ask ourselves today Are we disciples? None of us are perfect, But have you given up attitude of being in charge And have you become confident in His ability to express Himself through you?
Introduction: Have you seen the Verizon commercials?
• The ones where a person is walking around with a group of people behind them
• That represents the Verizon network.
• Now The idea is that this team of professionals and technicians are always standing by
• They’re there to support us and assure us that our network is functioning and reliable.
• The idea is that If we have Verizon, we are never alone,
• That we will always have everything we need
• So that we can do --------what we need to do.
Now personally I think this idea works better in theory than in practice.
• But On the other hand, when ya think about it
• In life if we have Jesus, we do always have support.
• We’re never, left alone,
• We have everything that we need
• To be able to do - What we should be doing.
• What we see is that Jesus has gathered in the Upper Room with His disciples.
• And He’s using an analogy of being the Vine
• And we are the branches.
• As a vine, He supports us and gives us strength so that
• We can function properly as His disciples.
• And throughout this illustration,
• He shows us three characteristics of just what it takes to be a disciple.
• And It’s those three characteristics that I want us to look at today.
8 When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father. 9 “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. 10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love.
11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command.
I.FRUITFULNESS of Christ’s Disciples-
• As Disciples of Jesus Christ we are called to bear fruit
• As we look at what Jesus is saying,
• We see that we are extensions of Him
• We are extensions of His life
• He is the Vine that gives life and support and vitality to the branches.
• The branches don’t support the Vine, the Vine supports the branches
Our source of the Life is in Him, / is Him:
• He is the Way, the Truth and the Life
• When we are connected to Christ His life flows through us,
• And It’s only natural that we if we are connected to Him
• That we will accomplish something for His kingdom.
• Now the main job of the Vine is to produce the fruit;
• The only responsibility of the branches have is to stay connected to the Vine.
To often We spend our time trying to do something to win God’s favor
• Trying to please Him
• We want to satisfy Him with our works and our ability,
• But this isn’t what God wants
• It’s only when we abandon human effort, and Stop trying to do things our way
• That Jesus will lead us thru The Spirit
• Lead us to do the work that He has called us to do.
• To stay connected --------To remain attached
• Then and only then will we please and glorify God.
When we stay connected, our actions will glorify the Father.
• Jesus always glorified God. Because He stayed attached
In John 8:29, Jesus said, 29 And the one who sent me is with me—he has not deserted me. For I always do what pleases him.”
So today we need to ask ourselves “What is a disciple?”
• A disciple is an applied student of Jesus
• A follower is someone who uses the information that Jesus has taught us
• And is in step with Him
• A disciple walks in the same way with Him and follows His lead.
Paul was so convinced of this that he wrote under the guidance of the Holy Spirit Philippians 1:6 6 And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.
II. FAITHFULNESS of Christ’s Disciples-
• Verse 9 speaks about His love for us
• And we are instructed to remain in Jesus’ love.
• This entire chapter is about remaining, abiding, and continuing.
The Greek word is the same in every instance