Summary: Who is this God we serve? How do I get to know him better?
The Characteristics of our God HHM May 19, 2002
A. The Essence and Substance of God: Who is this God we serve?
How do I get to know him better?
Thru – Personal Relationship
When we want to learn about someone what do we do???
We ask about them, we do some research; we can even have them followed.
These things can sometimes work BUT to really know someone you must spend time with them. / One on One time with him Get personal to the point they know you also.
Let us today seek out who our God is. Let us build a better relationship with Him
1. Four things involved in God’s spirituality:
(John 4:24) 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
A. He is immaterial / Does not need the material things of this world
B. He is invisible / Even though we can’t see him we still see Him in each other
C. He is alive / You can feel the presence of God here today
D. He is a person / I can speak to Him One on One
2. God is Self Existent (Exodus 3:14) And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ’I AM has sent me to you.’ "
3. The Immensity of God (1 Kings 8:27) But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You. How much less this temple which I have built!
4. God is Eternal (Genesis 21:33) Then Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and there called on the name of the Lord, the Everlasting God.
5. God is One (Deuteronomy 6:4) Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one!
6. God is Transcendent (Isaiah 55:8-9 & 57:15)
55:8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord.
55:9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts
Heb 1:2,3 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; 3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
B. Non-Moral Attributes of God:
1. Omnipresence of God (Psalms 139:7-8 & Jeremiah 23:24) 7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there
2. Omniscience of God (Proverbs 15:3) The eyes of the Lord are in every place, Keeping watch on the evil and the good.
A. 2Man’s works (Psalms 33:13-15) 13 The Lord looks from heaven; He sees all the sons of men. 14 From the place of His dwelling He looks On all the inhabitants of the earth; 15 He fashions their hearts individually; He considers all their works.
2B. Man’s thoughts and motives (Psalms 139:1-4) 1 For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. O Lord, You have searched me and known me. 2 You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. 3 You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.