Summary: Every Christian needs to know that God is the owner of the money, and we are to be willing to use the money according to His purpose and for His glory.
THE CHRISTIAN, MONEY AND GIVING
Study Text: Mark 12:41-44
- Money is an issue about which many are sensitive and close mouthed. However, it is an issue about which the Bible has much to say.
- And, it is an issue that affects every person either as individual or as family.
- We depend upon money to provide homes, food, clothing, cars and other things we say are the necessities of life. If you do not have money in this society, then you are in serious trouble. We all agree on the fact that money is very important.
- Every Christian has the responsibility to use the resources which have been given to him by God to further God's kingdom upon the earth.
- When we invest our money in the kingdom of God, we also place our heart there. When we place our finances in the hands of the world, then we likewise tie our affections to things below and not things above - Matt. 6:19-24.
1. The Proper Use of Money: - 1 Cor. 10:31.
- When money is properly used to glorify the Lord, then the Lord is given the wonderful opportunity of proving His power to provide for His people, Mal. 3:8-12.
- When God is denied this opportunity, then the child of God has forfeited a great blessing and that becomes a sin before the Lord.
- Therefore, the primary use for our money is to use all that we have to bring glory to the Lord. This means that the primary use for money is for giving.
- When we give, we honor God, we advance His Kingdom, we demonstrate faith in His promises, we expose ourselves to His blessings and we do something in which everyone can participate.
2. The Principle for the Use of Money
- Jesus gives some principles that should govern the use of our money especially in the matter of our giving.
- Jesus was observing the people casting their money into the treasury. He was watching them as they gave. Notice how this verse is worded, "and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury..."
- The yardstick has always been what is called the "tithe." This is a word that simply means "the tenth." God desires that every person be actively involved in giving their tithe to the Lord.
- Nobody should give less than his tithe, but you can give more as the Lord blesses you in offerings and special donation to further support the work of the kingdom.
- There are 3 basic reasons why people do not tithe.
1. Many Have Never Been Taught To Tithe - Perhaps their mothers and fathers did not tithe. Perhaps their preachers have been silent about the matter of tithing. But, whatever the reason, some people simply do not understand the place tithing holds in the lives of believers.
2. Many Misunderstand The Place Of Tithing In The Lord's Kingdom - There are those who feel that tithing is not for us to do today. This comes from a lack of understanding about what tithing is and where the concept came from.
3. Many Simply Refuse To Obey The Lord - Many do not tithe even though they know that the Bible tells them to. Many refuse because they are willing to be rebellious to the Word of God instead of obedient. If you know that it is the Lord's will and you don't do it, then don't complain when you begin to pay a financial price for your rebellion - James 4:17.