Summary: A Discription of the attributes of the Christian soldier
The Christian Soldier
1 You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 3You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. 4No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier.
01. He is strong enough to know when he is weak.
And I am weak today, though anointed king;
02. He is brave enough to face himself when he is afraid.
Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You.
03. He is proud and unbending in honest defeat.
And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me;
04. He is humble and gentle in victory.
Let your gentleness be known to all men.
05. His wishbone is not be where his backbone should be.
For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.
06. He is not found only in the path of ease and comfort, but under the stress and spur of difficulties and challenge. Here he…
I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire,
A. Learns to stand up in the storm.
… The LORD has His way In the whirlwind and in the storm, And the clouds are the dust of His feet.
B. Learns compassion for those who fail.
Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness,
07. His heart is clean.
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts,
08. His goal is high.
Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it
09. He will master himself before he seeks to master other men.
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
10. He has learned to laugh, yet never forgets how to weep.
So David went up by the Ascent of the Mount of Olives, and wept as he went up;
11. He reaches into the future, yet never forgets the past.
For whatever things were written before were written for our learning
12. He has enough of a sense of humor, so that he may always be serious, yet never take himself too seriously.
Rejoice in that day and leap for joy! For indeed your reward is great in heaven,
13. He is humble, so that he may always remember…
Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble.
A. The simplicity of greatness.
Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
B. The open mind of true wisdom.
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent
C. The meekness of true strength.
strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy;