Summary: AN UNDEFILED LIFE IS USABLE FOR GOD AND HIS KINGDOM!
THE CHRONICLES OF DANIEL #1: UNDEFILED
DANIEL 1: 1-21
JULY 18, 2004
INTRODUCTION: Quotes Topic: Christian Character/Fruits
We are not to be isolated but insulated, moving in the midst of evil but untouched by it. Separation is contact without contamination. Jesus was “holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners” (Heb. 7:26), yet He was “a friend of tax collectors and sinners” (Luke 7:34). Vance Havner. Contributed by: Donnie Martin
TRANSITION THOUGHT: We are called to live lives of purity in an impure world! Our text teaches us just how this is done.
THESIS SENTENCE: AN UNDEFILED LIFE IS USABLE FOR GOD AND HIS KINGDOM!
I. AN UNDEFILED LIFE IS A CHOICE VV. 1-8
A. CHOICES ARE MADE FOR US
1. God made the choice to send the children of Israel in to exile.
2. Nebuchadnezzar made the choice to besiege Jerusalem.
3. Ashpenaz, chief of the court officials made the choice to choose Daniel for the King’s court.
4. The King chose what they should eat = ALL GOOD STUFF!
B. WE CAN MAKE CHOICES
1. Daniel knew that though many choices were made for him, he could stand for what he believed in.
2. His choice went against the grain.
3. His choice stood against the King.
4. His choice was about purity.
5. His choice was about his convictions!
C. WE CHOOSE FOR OTHERS
1. Daniel’s choice effected more than just Himself
2. Daniel’s choice effected his friends!
TRUTH: MAKING RIGHT CHOICES IN LIFE IS HARD
QUESTION: ARE WE WILLING TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES
II. AN UNDEFILED LIFE IS A SACRIFICE VV. 8-14
A. SACRIFICE IS DOING WITHOUT
1. Daniel did without meat and wine!
2. Daniel lived on vegetables and water only!
B. SACRIFICE IS WILLINGNESS TO TAKE A TEST
1. Daniel was willing to ask for permission to be different!
2. Daniel was willing to try!
C. SACRIFICE IS TRUSTING GOD!
1. Daniel believed he was honoring God!
2. Daniel believed that if he held to the convictions God gave him God would see him through!
D. SACRIFICE IS INCLUDING OTHERS
1. Daniel didn’t stand alone!
2. Daniel included the Guardian over him.
3. Daniel included his friends
TRUTH: CHOICES LEAD TO SACRIFICE AND SACRIFICE LEADS TO TRUST!
QUESTION: DO WE TRUST GOD ENOUGH TO LIVE SACRIFICIALLY!
III. AN UNDEFILED LIFE IS REWARDED VV. 15-21
A. REWARD IS PASSING THE TEST/ HEALTH
B. REWARD IS GETTING TO LIVE OUT GOD GIVEN CONVICTIONS
C. REWARD IS KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
D. REWARD IS THE KING’S COURT
E. REWARD IS LONGEVITY (70 YEAR REIGN OF THE BABYLONIANS)
TRUTH: GOD REWARDS THOSE WHO HONOR HIM!
QUESTION: ARE WE EXPERIENCING THE REWARD OF GOD?
CONCLUSION: God wants us to choose lives of PURITY/ undefilement! Yes, He calls us to live lives of Sacrifice, but He rewards us for putting Him first! The real question is, will we put ourselves before God and let God put us at the end of the line, or will we put God first and allow Him to put us at the front of the line? Maybe the Next question would be, what is defiling us? What is separating us from the purity to which God is calling us? Will you be free from defilement? Will you make the hard choice, even NOW? God is with us in the hard choices and in the sacrifice that leads to HIS reward!
BENEDICTION: NUMBERS 6: 24-26