Summary: The chuch does not need more programs that do not work, it needs ministries that are geared to meet needs. Those who are a part of the church need to be involved in serving and ministering to others. The two make a perfect match. So, how do we make thi
THE CHURCH AND MINISTRY
A. The Church – what is it all about?
1. Many answers could be given
2. But if we look at it from strictly a biblical perspective – what is it all about?
a. Well, the first and obvious answer would be to bring glory to God – but that is sort of ambiguous
b. More specifically, we bring glory to God as we live for Him by serving/ministering to others: both physically and spiritually
B. The key is found in service/ministry
1. Now let me say up front – you cannot be saved by performing service or ministry, that comes only through Jesus Christ, For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:  Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8-9
2. However the world, as well as those in the church, see our faith by our works, i.e. ministry or service! (Jam 2:14-26)
3. Now I want to set before you a theory: if God is glorified by our life of service/ministry it is safe to assume that everyone in the church should be involved in service/ministry.
C. God has set the church, His body, in place to minister to the world around her and has sovereignly placed members in the body for the purpose of ministry.
1. Each of us has a place
2. When you joined this church, or any other church, you commit yourself to ministry in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ in association with that body.
D. And this brings us to our scripture passage for this morning Acts 6:1-8
1. This passage is used, more often than not, is association with the duties of a deacon.
a. This is because of the verb that is translated “serve” in verse one is the Greek word (dee-ak-on-eh-o) diakoneō
b. The noun form of the word is “diakonos” from which we get the English word Deacon.
2. But in context it might just as easily be use to help us understand the idea of ministry or service as it pertains to the church as a whole.
3. In it I believe we can find a pattern for ministry.
4. In order to minister effectively we must first see
a. A Ministry Need, then
b. Devise a Ministry Plan, have
c. Church Involvement, thereby
d. See God’s Blessings
E. The church is to be a ministering spirit within our community. May God give us instruction and guidance as we seek to be that ministering spirit in our communities.
As we begin this morning we need to see that ministries should never be started just for the sake of starting them, that is a program. Ministries should start because there is
I. A MINISTRY NEED, Acts 6:1 And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.
A. Often times ministry opportunities will present themselves as problems
1. Here we see a problem that came from the inability of the body to meet the needs of a group of widows.
2. Because of lack of structure and planning some widows, the Grecians, were not being ministered too
a. The word “ministration” in the KJV is a translation of the Greek word (dee-ak-on-nee-ah) diakonia
b. Service – they were being neglected in the daily service
3. In this case it was the distribution of food.
B. But as is often the case this “problem” became an opportunity to minister.
1. There was a need to see that all the widows were ministered too in a equal and efficient manner.
2. When things present themselves as problems, in the family, in the church, in the community it would be wise if those who are in the place of leadership look at the possibility to minister.
3. Let me give you an example
a. As we were growing we found that the Team Kid ministry was not meeting the needs of our kids – we were having some problems
- As the leadership prayed and sought God’s will the idea for implementing AWANA presented itself
b. Or how about this possibility, with the increase of personal and family problems within and without the church we are seeing more and more problems
- Is there a need ? Yes What is that need? Godly counseling.
- What might be done to meet this need?
C. We need to be on the outlook for needs/problems within and without the church
1. Sometimes they will be very obvious
2. Sometimes they will be less obvious
3. But God has put His Church here in Mascoutah for that very reason – Ministry!