Summary: What Is the Church? ❶ Visible Proof of His Body ❸ Each Part is Dependent Upon the Head ❹. Body Parts Have Different Purposes ❺. The Body’s Purpose is To Glorify Christ 1. THROUGH WORSHIP 2. THROUGH MINISTRY 3. THROUGH DI
Eph 1:17-23, 5:23-27
Colossians 1:16-18KJV For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
Colossians 2:19KJV And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.
Our Amazing Body
- Note your hand (trace out a square inch)
- In one square inch of our hand
▪ We have nine feet of blood vessels,
▪ 600 pain sensors,
▪ 9000 nerve endings,
▪ 36 heat sensors
▪ 75 pressure sensors.
What Is the Church?
❶. Visible Proof of His Body
- I can’t see your sprit nor can you see mine
- But our bodies are alike – Visible
- A living body is evidence of a living Spirit
- The World cannot see the invisible Christ who dwells in His Body the Church
- It can see the body – Us
- We display the Living Christ
- How are we doing displaying Christ
❷. All of the Body’s Parts Make-Up the Whole
- Each part of the body has a purpose
- Eye for seeing, the ear hears, the hand grips, the feet walk
- Each is connect to one another & all to the head
- As the head controls the body
- So Christ ought to control the church
❸. Each Part is Dependent Upon the Head
- Finger to the hand, the hand to the arm, the arm to the body, the body to the head
- When the part is hurting it is the head that applies the care as the rest of the body springs into action.
Ephesians 2:19-22KJV Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; 21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: 22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
❹. Body Parts Have Different Purposes
Philippians 2:13KJV For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
- The body is the servant of the head
- The Church is the servant of Christ
- The head has no way of working out its purposes but through the body
- Your knee can’t grip a pencil nor does your hand have an eye
- Without a head the body would be corpse
- The body exists for the head & not the head for the body
- The head
- Each part is necessary for the body
- When a part is diseased or missing the body does not function as well
❺. The Body’s Purpose is To Glorify Christ
1. THROUGH WORSHIP
Psalm 62:8KJV Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Psalm 105:3KJV Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.