Summary: The Letter to the Church at Philadelphia
The Church That Jesus Loved
As we continue the series of The Seven Churches in Revelation, today we will be looking at the great church at Philadelphia. The church was named after a nickname of it founder Attalus Philadelphus, King of Pergamos. He was loyal to his brother Eumenes. Philadelphia was located twenty-five miles southeast of
Sardis. It major production was wine, it was known as the gateway to the central plateau of Asia Minor. It was in an area where earthquakes hit frequently which stop the growth of the city inside the walls. The word Philadelphia comes from two Greek words: Phileo, which means, “love” the remainder of the word Adelphos means “brother.” The name United States city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania means “Brotherly Love.” In looking at the seven churches Philadelphia would be called the model church. The Pastor, Deacons, Sunday School Teachers, and Congregation should strive to be this type of church. I sincerely believe Parkway Garden Baptist Church demonstrates some of the characteristics that made up this humble, loving church. This doesn’t mean we have arrived and we do not have room for improvement. We can improve as Jesus in his letter to the churches told them. Jesus pointed out what they were doing right, and at the same time he also told them where they were at fault. Each letter also told the church, congregation, and its Pastor, what they must do to finish the race and to be the church they needed to be. The letters also told if they did not change what would be the consequences that they would face. However in the letter to Philadelphia there was no complaints in what they were doing, he didn’t point out a single sins. This doesn’t mean they were perfect because they were not, but Philadelphia was the best of the best. This is what God wants to see in all of his churches. However, many churches drop the ball today it more about business in the church than about souls that are lost and on their way to hell if we do not act. Our motto here at Parkway Garden Baptist Church is “To Reach the Lost at any Cost” putting God first in our lives, others second, to love people just as Christ loves us.
Please open your Bibles to Revelation 3:7-13
7. And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;
8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
9. Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
10. Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
11. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
12. Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
13. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
We will look at 5 point of the Church At Philadelphia
I. Jesus Characteristics
II. Jesus Tells The Church His Plan For Them
III. Jesus Tells The Church What Ever I Shut No one Can Open
IV. Jesus Tells The Church “I Will Come Quickly”
V. Jesus Tells The Church “Him That Overcometh”
I. Jesus Characteristic
A. Jesus tells in the letter to Philadelphia why he has authority
1. Jesus is Holy (the Son of God)
2. Jesus is True (Jesus never has and never will sin, (it is impossible for Jesus to sin.)
3. Jesus has the authority given by God he holds the Keys of David
4. Only Jesus Can open, no one can shut. (Missionaries, preach The Gospel all around the world) Many Missionaries are coming
From around the world to the USA ever wonder why?
IN 2010 WHICH MARKED OUR 3RD MISSION TRIP TO DUNDEE SOUTH AFRICA WHERE WE STAYED WITH A INDIAN PASTOR ANIL ROOPNARAIN AND HIS WIFE SUE. WE DID BIBLE SCHOOL FOR TWO WEEK AT THE CHURCH WHAT A BLESSING WE WENT TO GIVE A BLESSING BUT WE ARE THE ONES THAT RECEIVED THE BLESSING. SIX MONTH LATER THE PASTOR AND HIS WIFE VISITED MY WIFE VICKI AND I HERE IN WILKESBORO, NORTH CAROLINA FOR ONE MONTH. WE LINED UP 10 CHURCHES THAT ALLOWED HIM TO COME AND PREACH. IN EACH CHURCH HE OPENED UP WITH GIVING HIS TESTIMONY TELLING HOW A WHITE HAIRED MISSIONARY FROM THE UNITED STATES HAD CAME TO DUNDEE, SOUTH AFRICA TO SHARE THE GOSPEL WHEN HE WAS A SMALL BOY. HIS GRANDMOTHER ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST BUT THE REST OF THE STORY IS HIS FATHER WAS A HINDU PRIEST. JUST A SHORT TIME AFTER ANIL GRANDMOTHER ACCEPTED CHRIST, ANIL WAS ALSO SAVED AND HE HASN’T LOOKED BACK ONCE. HIS FATHER THE HINDU PRIEST WAS ALSO SAVED BY THE BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST LATER ON IN HIS LIFE. HE SHARED WITH THESE 10 CHURCHES THE REASON HE WANTED TO COME TO AMERICA WAS TO THANK THE AMERICAN FOR SENDING MISSIONARIES TO SOUTH AFRICA AND FOR HIS SALVATION. CHRIST OPENED THE DOOR FOR ALL THOSE WHO WILL LISTEN AND COMMIT.