Summary: THe cost of Following Jesus
In the 50’s running shoes were designed much differently from today. Running shoes were heavy and hard made from strong leather to render it durable from the rigors of the different terrain it treads on. With such case, its like picturing a sprint/ marathon game with runners using pairs of shoes that are not very much different from what we usually wear in formal occasions, like my shoes today.
A sprint runner named Bill Bowerman who always suffer a broken ankle and realized that it is caused by the hard and heavy leader shoes that he always wear. With that he designed a comfortable running shoes that fits the countour of the feet made from light yet durable materials.
Many shoe manufacturers rejected his design because his designed shoes were branded as substandard and don’t have the enduring quality of the leader running shoes. And because of its unusual design, it is called clown’s shoes.
With such great pain in his ankle and great burden in his heart he decided to stop running and concentrated in developing and producing his own version of running shoes. But this decision confronts him with these issues.
• Because he stopped from running he is faced with financial crisis not only for him but also for his family.
• And because it affects his whole family, oppositions from loves ones arises persuading him to stop his plans.
• In producing the said shoes, he would need a big amount of money. And must persuade investors from the unbelieving and critical sports business people in his time, criticizing his clown’s shoes.
From these Bill Bowerman reckoned that it demanded him a great cost in order to pursue this burden and vision. It would mean widrawing from the financial securities of his job. It means facing the oppositions of his love ones and would mean putting all priorities and investment to this cause.
The necessity of counting the cost for Bill as against his vision in the most appropriate manner will greatly determines his success. The crucial process of knowing the harsh and hard demands in realizing Bill’s dream in order to be successful in this story is like a picture of what a disciple of Christ confronts in following Him. Following Jesus demands nobler obedience and greater cost to pay.
A question we might ask is What are the demands and cost that a person should reckon with in order to be a victorious disciple of Christ.
Main Idea/ Proposition:
As outstandingly stated in the Bible, The cost for our victorious Christian discipleship means valuing it beyond our personal relationship, possessions and desires.
Read passage (Luke: 14:25-35) NKJV
25. And great multitudes went with Him. And He turned and said to them,
26. "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. (First point)
27. "And whoever does not bear his cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. (Second Point)
28. "For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it