Summary: Those who do not have the Law will perish apart from the Law, and those who do have the Law will be judged by the Law. The problem is that neither proposition is very exciting.
The Courtroom of Conscience
(Note: the dashes represent blanks; the congregation received an abbreviated sermon outline with blanks to fill in as bulletin inserts)
1. Absurd manufacturers warnings:
Do not use while sleeping
You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside.
-Dial soap (bar of soap):
Directions: Use like regular soap
-Swanson frozen dinners:
Serving instructions: Defrost
-Marks & Spencer Bread Pudding:
Product will be hot after heating.
Do not iron clothes on body.
-Boot’s Children’s Cough Medicine:
Do not drive a car or operate machinery after taking this medication.
-Nytol Sleep Aid:
Warning: May cause drowsiness.
For indoor or outdoor use only
-Japanese food processor:
Not to be used for the other use.
Do not attempt to stop chain saw with your hands.
Warning: Contains nuts.
Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.
-Palmolive Dishwashing liquid:
Do not use on food.
Remove clothing before distributing in washing machine.
2. All of us have done enough dumb things that we make this necessary.
3. I have many stories….how about this one…the year was about 1986…working on a trap in our kitchen sink….two the them (removed a garbage disposal….)
4. Ignorance and stupidity are bad things….
5. But we need to understand that while people need to be educated in the things of God, we cannot make people open to God….He has to do that….
6. So are people who are ignorant of God lost? The answer is yes. But they are lost not because of their ignorance, but because they are sinners.
7. Today’s main idea is a paraphrase of Romans 2:12. I didn’t make this up; our text is a sermon already outline and ready to go!
Main idea: Those who do not have the Law will perish apart from the Law, and those who do have the Law will be judged by the Law. The problem is that neither proposition is very exciting.
I.____ Unregenerate_____ Mankind (14-25)
Unregenerate means, NOT born again, not brought to spiritual life.
A. Those Who Sin ___APART_____ from the Law (14-16)
1. Lost _______________________
(1) In this instance, the “law of God upon the heart” does not refer to regeneration, but the ____conscience______ we are born with
(2) The two ____lawyers____ of conscience
one Greek word is used of a prosecuting attorney (accusing), another a defense attorney (excusing or defending)
(3) The standards of conscience are not always God’s standards:
An anthropologist was studying a primitive tribe in South America that years earlier had been reached by a Christian missionary. After having lived among the tribe for several weeks, the anthropologist met with the tribe’s leader. He said, “You have a wonderful culture, but it is a shame that the missionary came and infected your tribe with his religion.”
The chief replied, “See that rock? That’s where we would break the skulls of our enemies. See that tree? That’s where we would sacrifice them to our God. And if we had not learned Christ was our Lord, you would be our dinner tonight.”
3. Those without the Law are doomed because they have ___violated___their own consciences and ___ standards _____.
4. A principle: those who respond to the light they have will receive more light….people praying….
WWII pilot shot down…eventually communicated the Gospel…
B. Those Who Sin ____Under ____ the Law (Jews) (17-25)
Romans 3:12, “What advantage, then, is there in being a Jew, or what value is there in circumcision? Much in every way! First of all, they have been entrusted with the very words of God.”
IT is always good to spread the knowledge of God…whether people come to accept Christ or not! Our task is to share Christ’s Gospel, not to coerce….
1. The Jews did have an ___advantage ____ by having the Law
Note Romans 3:1-2
2. But they ___ could ___ not ___ obey it (21-24)
3. __Rituals ___ , like circumcision, cannot atone for sin….(25)
When Jesus was in Gethsemane, He prayed the Father, “If it is possible, let this cup pass from me…” There was no other way for sins to be forgiven than for Jesus to die for them…
II. Regenerated ___ Mankind _____ (2:26-3:3)
To be regenerate means to be born again, to receive new life….Eph. 2:1-5 describes this…
“As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins… But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions…”
A. ___ Regenerate ___Gentiles (26_27)
1. They talk the talk and they walk the ________________________________ .
2. They are better off than unregenerate _______________ who have the Law.
B. Regenerate __Jews ____ (2:28-3:3)