Summary: I think at some point after we become followers of Christ we become Christianized in a way that insulates us and makes us forget just how “crazy” the claims of Christianity are. This month I want us to revisit some of the stories the in Scripture that be
“That’s Just Crazy!”
The Craziest Lover Ever!
Hosea 3:1-3 (HCSB)
1 Then the Lord said to me, “Go again; show love to a woman who is loved by another man and is an adulteress, just as the Lord loves the Israelites though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes.”
2 So I bought her for 15 shekels of silver and five bushels of barley.
3 I said to her, “You must live with me many days. Don’t be promiscuous or belong to any man, and I will act the same way toward you.”
Hosea 14:1-4 (HCSB)
1 Israel, return to the Lord your God, for you have stumbled in your sin. 2 Take words [of repentance] with you and return to the Lord. Say to Him: “Forgive all [our] sin and accept what is good, so that we may repay You with praise from our lips. 3 Assyria will not save us, we will not ride on horses, and we will no longer proclaim: Our gods! to the work of our hands. For the fatherless receives compassion in You.” 4 I will heal their apostasy; I will freely love them, for My anger will have turned from him.
Intro: Background on Hosea and Gomer – This is a REAL Testimony, not a Story!!!
I. THE DEPTH OF GOD’S CRAZY LOVE (1)
• God Does Not Need Us –
o What do we have to offer him?
o What do we have that he needs from us?
o Our Very Best cannot measure up.
• God Wants us…He Desires Us…He Loves Us!
• And His Love is Steadfast and Faithful Even when we Are not
II. THE COST OF GOD’S CRAZY LOVE (2)
A. The cost to Hosea
1. The Exorbitant Price of a Slave
2. Imagine the things running through Gomer’s mind with Hosea’s bid (revenge, subjection)
B. The cost to Christ was the cross at Calvary
1. When he should have been ruling from a throne he was bleeding on a cross
2. When he could have been judging he was weeping “Father forgive”
3. When he could have demanded allegiance he merely asked for a relationship.
III. THE EFFECTS OF GOD’S CRAZY LOVE (3)
• What Difference Does this Crazy Love Make in My Life?
• For Hosea and Gomer:
“You must live with me many days. Don’t be promiscuous or belong to any man,
and I will act the same way toward you.”
• Gomer’s Commitment (live with me many days)
• Gomer’s Purity (don’t be promiscuous – leave that old way of life)
• Gomer’s Relationship (I will be faithful toward you)
• What Would Gomer’s Response Be?
IV. THE HOPE OF GOD’S CRAZY LOVE (14.2-4 and following)
A. In spite of our disobedience - God Loves
B. In spite of our unfaithfulness - God loves
C. In spite of our disrespect and irreverence - God loves
His Love Brings:
Healing Refreshing Renewal
Revival Provision Guidance
V. THE INVITATION OF GOD’S CRAZY LOVE (14.1)
Israel, RETURN to the Lord your God,
for you have stumbled in your sin
Forest Gump – He Never Stops Loving Jenny
The Invitation to All of Us…
In spite of Failure – Return