Summary: I think at some point after we become followers of Christ we become Christianized in a way that insulates us and makes us forget just how “crazy” the claims of Christianity are. This month I want us to revisit some of the stories the in Scripture that be
Ex. 1.8 – 2.10 (Mother's Day)
MOM’S MAKE A GREAT DIFFERENCE
When we think of Moses life we see all the mountain tops and valleys and behold a man of valiant faith. How often do we consider his mother, beyond the image of her placing him in a basket in the bulrushes? How many can answer: What was Moses’ momma’s name?
We know she was a woman of great courage and Faith.
Heb 11:23 By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden for three months by his parents, because they saw he was a beautiful child; and they were not afraid of the king's edict.
But, how big a difference did she make in Moses’ life. My contention is that she made an awesome difference.
GROWING UP IN THE GHETTO OF GOSHEN
• Elvis song: “In The Ghetto”- Shows the depression and pain
• The word Ghetto brings to mind crime, poverty, etc.
• Affliction and Oppression (8-14)
• Midwives and Murder (15-22)
A HOME MARKED BY HOPE
When Jochebed learned she was pregnant don’t you think that the question was in her mind if not spoken out loud? What will happen if the child she carries is a boy? What would they do?
• Demonstrated Courageous Protection
• Devised a Creative Scheme
• Delivered Concentrated and Consistent Nurturing
What was life like knowing that at any minute their scheme could be found out and the soldiers could break down the door and kill the entire family?
WHY JOCHEBED GETS MY VOTE FOR CRAZIEST MOTHER:
• Crazy in Defying Pharoah
• Crazy in Keeping The Child
• Crazy in Placing Baby in Basket in the Crocodile Infested Nile River
• Crazy in Sending Daughter to Watch the Basket
SOME TRUTHS TO TAKE HOME
(Moms Might Seem a Little Crazy at times)
• Be Careful not to Overestimate the Importance of “Environment”
• Be Careful not to Underestimate the Importance of Parenting
• A Faithful Model is Valuable in Times Such as These
• A Mother’s Presence and Love is Priceless at all Times
Mom’s, (this might sound a little crazy) here are three precious gifts to give your family on Mother’s Day
• Your Faith
• Your Constant Love and Presence
Exodus 1:8-2:10 (HCSB)
8 A new king, who had not known Joseph, came to power in Egypt.
9 He said to his people, “Look, the Israelite people are more numerous and powerful than we are.
10 Let us deal shrewdly with them; otherwise they will multiply [further], and if war breaks out, they may join our enemies, fight against us, and leave the country.”
11 So the Egyptians assigned taskmasters over the Israelites to oppress them with forced labor. They built Pithom and Rameses as supply cities for Pharaoh.
12 But the more they oppressed them, the more they multiplied and spread so that the Egyptians came to dread the Israelites.
13 They worked the Israelites ruthlessly
14 and made their lives bitter with difficult labor in brick and mortar, and in all kinds of fieldwork. They ruthlessly imposed all this work on them.