Summary: The cross it is the need of our soul.
Is the Cross, as the song says, "an emblem of suffering and shame ... where the dearest and best for a world of lost sinners was slain"?
- It is emblem of a fate we all deserve because of our sins but which we don’t have to face because . Jesus faced it for us by taking our place and thus "satisfying" our debt to God?
- It is the place where Christ confronted the power of Satan and on Easter Morn the tug of war was won
- Is it the symbol of God’s love for us? Is it God sacrificing himself for the human race?
- Is it simply the method of execution in the Roman Empire, to which Jesus was unjustly sent?
1. Open with: What do you think about the cross of Christ? The question may be one that you consider
of little importance: but it deeply concerns the everlasting welfare of your soul.
To know what the Cross means will help us see the value it has on our soul.
A. The Cross means that “Wooden Cross” No Paul did not glorify in a piece of wood "became
obedient unto death, even the death of the cross" (Phil. 2:8).
B. The Cross sometimes means the afflictions and trial which believers have to go through.
This is the sense in which our Lord uses the word, when He says, "He that taketh not his cross,
and followeth after Me, is not worthy of Me" (Matt. 10:38).
C. The Cross mean two intersecting lines
D. The Cross means in some places “the doctrine that Christ died for sinners upon the cross ”
He suffered or them on the cross He was the perfect sacrifice for which he offered up, the cross
stands for Christ crucified "The preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness" (1 Cor. 1. 18)
. This is the meaning in which he wrote to the Galatians, "God forbid that I should glory, save in
the cross." He simply meant, "I glory in nothing but Christ crucified, as the salvation of my soul."
J. C. Ryle once said, The Cross is the Sun of my Soul
2. Secondly, let us consider the Values of the Soul
A. The soul is Valued because it will be forever
Daniel 12 2Multitudes (souls) who sleep in the
dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting or forever contempt.
B. the Soul is Valued because it will feel forever
Rev 16:10The fifth angel poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and his kingdom was
plunged into darkness. Men gnawed their tongues in agony 11and cursed the God of heaven because
of their pains and their sores, but they refused to repent of what they had done.
C. The Soul is Valued because it will be Judged for ever
. 25For whoever will save his life shall lose it, and whosoever will lose his life shall find it. For what is a man profited,
if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul.
3. We must realize Thirdly, that The Cross is the Need of the Soul
A. If I am going to live forever, where do I want to live Heaven or hell because the cross is the intersect
B. If I am going to feel forever what do I want to feel I want to feel the joy
C. If I am going to be judged do I want to get what I really desire
D. My Soul needs the Cross because it where the dearest and best for a world of lost sinners was slain.