Summary: exposition on Matt ch 16
THE CURSE AND CURE FOR SPIRITUAL BLINDNESS
Matthew 16 v. 1 - 20 v. 1 - 12 Two types of blindness v. 1 - 4
"the blind who will never see"
The pharisees with the saducees - old rivals united against Christ. Note 3 reasons for their blindness
(1) Sin - John 3 v. 19 "men loved darkness rather than light because their deeds are evil"
(2) satan 2 Corinthians 4 v. 4 "in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the gospel of Christ, should shine unto them"
(3) Censure i.e. of the Lord - Proverbs 1 v. 24 "because I called, and ye refused, I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded" v. 26"I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mockwhen your fear cometh."
Those who are blinded:-
(a) oppose the light v. 1
(b) hate the light v. 1 - John 3 v. 20 "for everyone that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light lest his deeds should be reproved."
(c) reject the light v. 4 "he left them and departed." and concentrates on his disciples -
The blind who are made to see v. 5 - 12 i.e.his disciples Notice :-
(a) They sought the light v. 5 - disciples went on with Jesus, when religious leaders didn’t
(b) They found the light "to whom else can we go, thou hast the words of eternal life?"
(c) They increased in the light v. 6 "take heed and beware" of the doctrines of legalism, and liberalism
(d) They grew in the light v. 13 - 17 the find test "who am I" Note:-
1. The place v. 13 Caesera Phillipi - near Dan in the north - an idolatrous place
2. The puzzle v. 13 "who am I" Note:-
(a) The people’s response v. 14 John, Elijah, or Jeremiah,
(b) The personal response "whom say ye?"
(c) And Peter’s response v. 16 "thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God."
(1) The context of Peter’s confession - when the religious world was against Christ
(2) The content of it - the messiah (no forerunner), TheSon (only), of living God (no idol)
(3) The cause of it v. 17 - not deduction, or reasoning but divine revelation through listening, following and watching Jesus and being convinced of his divinity
(4) The consequences of it - further revelation concerning
the Lord’s character v18(son of God), his church v18 , and his cross v. 21
3. The pronouncement v. 17 & 18 "blessed atrt thou Simon Barjona" The Lord commends Peter, v. 18 "thou art Peter" (stone) - your a brick - upon this rock I will build my church
(a) The foundation of the church "upon this rock" i.e. his confession of faith
(b) The formation of the church - "I will build" - salvation is of the Lord
(c) The fellowship of the church "my church" - not Peter’s, but Christ is the architect, the builder, the owner, and the head
(d) The future of the church "the gates of hell" the powers of hell , and the powers of death Hebrews 2 v. 14"that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil."
(e) The function of the church v. 19 to bind and release or to preach the gospel on the authority of the word of God.