Summary: Characteristics of our day are compared to Noah, providing evidence that God's judgment is near. Now is the time to seek the ark safety and salvation in Jesus Christ.
Sermon Notes September 18, 2011 FBCam
The Days of Noah - Why God’s Judgment Was So Severe
In Grant County, Kentucky, 40 miles from Cincinnati, ANSWERS in GENESIS is building THE ARK ENCOUNTER. This real life replica of NOAH’S ARK is scheduled to open up to guests in 2014.
GREAT INTEREST in NOAH’S ARK.
TODAY: The Days Leading up to the FLOOD.
Similarities between OUR DAY and the DAYS BEFORE THE FLOOD.
(This is a Second Coming reference)
(Conditions TODAY are JUST LIKE THE DAYS BEFORE THE FLOOD)
I. The World is in Rapid Moral Descent. Gen 6:1-3
AIR FRANCE, 2009 flight from RIO to PARIS
Descended at 11,000 feet per minute.
No time to recover.
A. The PRE-FLOOD WORLD
1. Satan attempted to CORRUPT the world through demonic influence.
2. “Sons of God” = FALLEN ANGELS.
a. only 3x where the phrase bene elohim is used
b. Each time, ANGELS are in mind
c. Job 1:6 "Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them."
d. Job 2:1 "Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them to present himself before the Lord."
e. Job 38:7 "When the morning stars sang together And all the sons of God shouted for joy?"
3. Something UNIQUE about NOAH’S DAY.
4. AGREES with the NT.
a. 1 Peter 3:19–20 "in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, " "who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water."
b. 2 Peter 2:4 "For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;"
c. Jude 6 "And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day,"
a. A Unique group of fallen angels
b. Demons who possessed GREAT MEN (powerful leaders)
6. During the PRE-FLOOD, mankind EXPANDED, and so did SIN
B. Rapid Moral Descent TODAY:
1. Everything God created is being CORRUPTED
a. Gen 6:2“Sons of God married the daughters of men”
b. Matt 24:38 “Eating, drinking and giving in marriage”
c. Our WORLD is CORRUPTING men-women relationships
3. HUMAN GOV’T - One World Government is on the way
4. ECONOMIES -
5. ETHICS -
6. Humanity is EXPANDING in EVERY DIRECTION
7. What man views as PROGRESS, God views as DESCENT
a. Richard Dawkins says that we are IMPROVING
b. Socially, Politically it is called PROGRESSIVISM
c. But it is just a FURTHER DESCENT toward judgment
II. The World is Under the Illusion of That Everything is Normal
1. Genesis 6:1, 4
2. 2 Peter 2:5 "and did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a preacher of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;"
3. Genesis 7:1 "Then the Lord said to Noah, “Enter the ark, you and all your household, for you alone I have seen to be righteous before Me in this time."
1. 1 Thessalonians 5:3 "While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly like labor pains upon a woman with child, and they will not escape."
2. Richard Dawkins, chapter on of “The God Delusion,” Why there almost certainly is no God.
III. God’s Judgment is Coming
A. Gen 6:4 “my Spirit will not always contend with man.”
B. The Lord SAW. Gen 6:5 “The Lord SAW how great man’s wickedness on the earth had become and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.”
1. Psalm 139:1–3 "O Lord, You have searched me and known me. " "You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. " "You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways." Psalm 139:7 "Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?"
2. Proverbs 15:3 "The eyes of the Lord are in every place, Watching the evil and the good."
3. Proverbs 15:3 "The eyes of the Lord are in every place, Watching the evil and the good."
4. He SEES YOU. Hebrews 4:13 "And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do."
Melvin Newland tells the story: About a professional football player who didn’t like to obey curfew, & many nights he sneaked out. He would take blankets & pillows & put them under the covers of his bed, so that when the coach checked his room, it would look like he was sound asleep like all the others.