Summary: THE SPIRIT CONTROLLED LIFE LEADS TO A DEEPER WALK!
THE DEEPER WALK PART 1: LIFE IN THE SPIRIT
ROMANS 8: 1-17
JULY 27, 2003
INTRODUCTION: Unless there is within us that which is above us, we shall soon yield to that which is about us.
— P.T. Forsyth
If a man is filled with anger, than anger controls his life.
If a man is filled with greed, then greed dominates his life.
If a man is filled with lust, then lust governs his life.
If a man is filled with love, then love influences all he does.
And if a man is filled with the Holy Spirit, he is controlled by the Spirit - it is, if you will, "control by consent."
Contributed by: Emile Wolfaardt
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Our text for today speaks of the Power of the Spirit filled life. We have talked for the last month about not playing the Devil’s game. The truth of the matter is that what we talked about was a refresher course in how the Devil works with the hope that we would wise up and not play his game. As I pondered where it is we should go NEXT, I felt that it was time to speak of a deeper walk. It seems that we may understand the basics, thus it is time to delve a little deeper into the waters of following after the Living God. Someone sent me an e-mail this week sharing their thoughts on the loss of MRS. Freddie. One of the comments made was that we will miss her wisdom and that there is a need for more Mrs. Freddies. To this I add a hearty Amen. It is time we step up our walk of faith and live lives worthy of our calling. The only way to do this is not in our power, but in HIS SPIRIT!
THESIS SENTENCE: THE SPIRIT CONTROLLED LIFE LEADS TO A DEEPER WALK!
SO, WHAT DO WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND TO LIVE IN THE SPIRIT?
I. LIFE IN THE SPIRIT BRINGS FREEDOM VV. 1-4
A. FREEDOM IS NOT WITHIN THE LAW
1. The Law has one function and it is to reveal our sinful nature.
2. We have been sinful since Genesis Chapter 3 and the apple.
3. The Law did not make us sinful it revealed to us that we liked “darkness instead of light.”
4. The Law also taught us about God’s standard for our lives, or better put, what the image of God in us should look like!
5. In all truth, we could never uphold all the Law of God. In our own strength, we have no strength at all!
6. Therefore we are all dead in sin because of the Law and no life can be found in us. Thus the Apostle Paul cries out, “Who will rescue me from this body of death (Romans 7:24b)?”
B. FREEDOM IS IN CHRIST ALONE
1. The power of Christ’s death means that the "righteous requirements of the law" are "fully met in us" (v.4). This righteousness frees us from condemnation (v.1), and makes our spirits live (v.10). The power of Christ’s resurrection means our bodies will live (v.11), and be cleansed of the sinful nature. 2. You see it is in Christ alone that we have the forgiveness of sins and the accrediting of righteousness.
3. Apart from Christ there is condemnation! Paul wrote in Romans 7: 24 and 25, “What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God – through Jesus Christ our Lord!”
4. But in Christ, “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1).”