Summary: A message comparing our present day to that of Sodom.
THE DESTRUCTION OF SODOM
INTRO: Because of the sins of this wicked city, God destroyed it, and all the people in this city except for one good man.
Our cities in America today are just the same as the city of Sodom was in the days of Lot. We are facing the same destruction today that Sodom faced 4,000 years ago.
I. LOT IS SOUGHT OUT TO BE SPARED.
A. Two angels come to the city.
1. Lot is sitting at the gate to the city.
a. The other men were getting drunk.
b. Lot was waiting for an opportunity to do good.
2. Lot offers his hospitality.
II. LOT DEFENDS HIS GUESTS.
A. The men of the town come to Lot’s house to call these Angels
1. These men had reached the height of wickedness.
a. They wanted to commit acts of sodomy on these men.
b. They were so wicked that they committed their acts openly.
2. Lot, in trying to protect his guests, offers his daughters to
a. Of two evils, we must choose the less evil, but we must
never do evil to overcome evil.
b. Lot was confused by these men, and offered his daughters
in a state of confusion.
B. The Angels come to Lot’s rescue.
1. Lot had been hospitable to them so they returned this good with
2. They blinded the men to stop them.
III. SODOM IS DESTROYED.
A. Lot is told of the coming destruction.
B. Lot is instructed to leave the city.
C. Lot’s wife looks back and is turned to salt.
IV. WE ARE HEADED FOR DESTRUCTION TODAY.